Carbonation Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadFreak

Reaction score
Hi y'all. I sampled some cider I made today and I'm having trouble getting it to carbonate. I started with 5 gallons juice I pressed myself and added about 3 lbs dextrose, campden tablets and pasteur champagne yeast, and got 10.5% potential A.B.V. Fermentation started 11/2/08, and f.g was 1.002 when I last racked it 6 weeks ago. Anyhow, 19 days ago I filled one 12oz bottle and added 1tsp dextrose dissolved in a little h20 for priming, then left the bottle alone at room temperature. Anyhow, some haze seemed to appear in the bottle, but when I poured the cider there was no effervescence. The rest of the batch is still in the carboy, and it looks pretty clear, and there are no lees settling. Could I have racked out all my yeast? Should I try re-pitching or adding nutrients, or just bottle it flat?

muntons carb tabs work great. 19 days ago, you should be getting some bubbles not a finished product though, give it one more week

Thanks for the advice. Do muntons work better than priming sugar because of the malt added, or are they just for convenience? I saw almost no bubbles at all when I poured the test bottle after 18 days, so I'll probably just leave it flat.

Back