Burnt Honey Mole Bochet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blast

Reaction score
One of the guys I work with asked if I could do a Mexican Mole style of Mead. I just did the burnt honey bochet (I keep "sampling" the stuff directly from my secondary jug, I'm not sure it'll make it to the bottles) and thought that perhaps this would work well together. I have Brewers Friend but I haven't quite learned how to work it yet. I'm still new, I won't lose sleep over it. This is about all I have worked out for the recipe and was hoping to get some tips and recommendations.

For a 1 gallon batch I was planning on using 3.5 Lbs Honey Cooked until a dark amber, pitching it with an ale yeast, don't know the number. After 2 weeks in the primary I'll rack it off and add 6 jalapenos smoked over mesquite (that'll give me an excuse to fire up the smoker) and then about a dozen Cacao nibs to the secondary for 1 week, rack off and start aging.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I was thinking of doing the burnt honey as either a ginger beer or even trying to make a hard root beer out of it if anyone may have some thoughts on that as well. I saw the root beer recipe from Crazy8 and was considering it.

There are more things in a good Mole than just smoked peppers and chocolate, but you have a start on a good base, but you might want to taste test vs removing at just a week. While you are smoking, drop some oak chips in there to soak up some of the smoke to add to your mead also. Bochet would go well as a base for rootbeer, maybe drop a few anise pods in it and some vanilla beans to add some depth, and a little oak wouldnt hurt it either, just not the smoked ones. WVMJ

Back