filter kombucha before second fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kijaz

Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering if i can filter my kombucha before adding flavor and bottle it for the second fermentation? would it still create carbonation or it would stop it since i am filtering the yeast,etc.?

Depending on the size and type of the filter you use, you may end up filtering out the yeast, which will make carbonation difficult.

Why do you feel the need to filter your kombucha?

Op this is good timing I was thinking of doing similar with a coffee filter or biab material to remove the dry hops I added to one.

Ive never filtered mine, I just bottle it and let it sit in the fridge until it clears (1 to 3 days). There is always sediment but thats part and parcel to this stuff

I've been brewing for a little over a year now and felt my brew was getting a little too vinegary so my last batch I have filter the brew through a cheese cloth prior to bottling. I also cleaned a little of the yeast from the scoby.

I believe there is still plenty of yeast left in the bottles for secondary fermentation and in the new batch.

I'll check and let you know how things turn out. Shoud be in the next few days for the bottled brew and about a week for the new batch. I make about 3 gallons (batch brew) at a time.

I filter with cheese cloth before bottling and adding fruit. Secondary fermentation is done after a week. Carbonation is light but that's what I'm going for.

Back