my first competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just started brewing last spring, entered my first competition. St Cloud, MN march mashness with my hefeweizen. I just got word from a fellow duluth brew club member that I took the bronze medal in my category. Very excited and wanted to share and a general thanks goes out for all the great things i have learned from here so far.

Thanks
Mike in Duluth.

I just found out after less than a year brewing I took silver at the bluebonnet brewoff for light lager! I'm so pump had to tell someone!

congrats dude!

I was up there last night for the awards ceremony. It was a lot of fun and you should plan on going next year. There were a lot of prizes and door prizes and lots of fun people to chat with. Dustin Brau of Brau Brothers Brewing spoke and took questions for about an hour which was informative and fun.

Good job with the hefe, my friend took the gold in that category with his first competition beer and I got the gold for the lager category with a schwarzbier.

Im entering mine with the Central Florida Home Brew Club soon. Itll be my first time and its a 80 schilling scotch. Congrats by the way! :)

Josh, I was actually happy and excited for you on your wins. You were runner up best of show. Some people just can't let things go though... It's too bad.

Eh, no worries Matt. I stumbled across your rant after searching for March Mashness results and it gave me a healthy chuckle.

Yeah, they didn't post it on the results as far as I could see, but it did come up at the banquet that the Berliner Weisse was runner up best of show. Good job dude. I checked out your twitter feed to see if you had heard and saw what I saw.

I buried that hatchet a long time ago, and I hope you would do the same.

Thanks for the tidbit about the runner up best of show. I got my score sheets today and while I think the BW was legit, the Flander's Red was a bit of a gimme. Only 5 beers in the sour ale category and a 30 score. I sent both off to NHC before I had the results so hopefully at least the BW doesn't get slaughtered.

You must be brewing quite a few sours, huh? That 30 is probably a 40 at any other comp. The scores were low across the board. My gold was only a 36.

Conga rats to you all :mug:

With a title like this, hey...

How old can a beer be and still be entered in a sanctioned competition? I'm thinking of entering Texas Bluebonnet in 2013.

When do I start counting the age? I have a beer in secondary now that is not considered mature for 4-6 months, according to the recipe. Can I count age starting 6 months from the day I brewed it? Does age start the day I bottle?

Competitions don't care about the age, just how tasty and close to style the beer is. That Flanders Red I entered was close to 2 years old but I've also entered beer that were less than a month old.

Back