March Pump Wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normis

Reaction score
All - I have a march pump that came wired already (with a plug). I'd like to wire it into a switch, and mount the switch to my stand. Has anyone done anything like this or is anyone able to let me know what I'd need to do it?

Thanks,

Norm

Just add an outlet to your stand that is wired to a switch. Then you don't have to cut your cord. Be sure to use a GFI outlet.

You need ;
2 gang outlet box - best to use weatherproof
Weatherproof cover
1 wall switch
1 reg wall GFI outlet
heavy duty outdoor extension cord/ cut the female end off
1 screw in wire clamp to keep the cord from pulling out.

Pretty simple wiring job, look online for a diagram if you are unsure about the wiring.

You can also find a GFI power strip with switch. If you are only controlling one pump then this would save you a lot of work and cost almost the same.

I simply mounted an inexpensive power strip inside my brewstand (in a sheltered spot where there is no chance of exposure to liquid) and use the switch to toggle the pump. Of course it's plugged into a GFI outlet.

It's also handy for plugging my drill in while milling grain.

You need ;
2 gang outlet box - best to use weatherproof
Weatherproof cover
1 wall switch
1 reg wall GFI outlet
heavy duty outdoor extension cord/ cut the female end off
1 screw in wire clamp to keep the cord from pulling out.

Pretty simple wiring job, look online for a diagram if you are unsure about the wiring.

Hey Sam - can't I just cut off the existing plug and wire it directly to a switch?

Here you go:

Pump Pwr.jpg

The GFI is to keep you alive when using electricity in a wet environment. If it detects any current flowing on the ground path, it'll cut the juice.

I took a different approach as usual. I have a GFCI protected wall outlet for a power source to my brew tower. I mounted a power strip on the back side of the tower to provide multiple outlets. Here's the good part. I picked up a wireless remote control switch. The receiver plugs into the power strip and the pump into the receiver. I operate the pump with the key chain remote. Works like a champ. The wireless switch was designed for use on Christmas lighting displays and such. I hang the transmitter from a cup hook on the inside frame of the tower. Always know where it is and convenient to reach. The wireless switch would work well for a grain mill too. Actually, you could use a single switch for both. It's easy to unplug it and move if needed for another task. Cheap too at only $9.99 or so.

The GFI is to keep you alive when using electricity in a wet environment. If it detects any current flowing on the ground path, it'll cut the juice.

Sorry - I should have been more clear. I have a GFI at the power source. Do I need another?

Hey Sam - can't I just cut off the existing plug and wire it directly to a switch?

I would not cut the plug from the cord. You could hard wire it to the switch, but then if you wanted to move the pump for any reason, you have a problem.

Sorry - I should have been more clear. I have a GFI at the power source. Do I need another?

No, one GFCI is fine. Having the GFCI located early in the circuit provides the best protection. IOW, it's better to have it at the wall outlet than mounted on a stand. Better yet is to install one in the panel box, but that can be impractical sometimes.

Why the Double Pole, Double throw switch? It's not 220 v and the pump is not reversible. I would think a SPST switch would do the job. Am I missing something?

A SPST switch will work also. I drew it out of habit. In the old days before our current 3 wire system (Hot-Neu-Gnd) a DPDT switch was essential as it was easy to reverse Hot and Neu in a 2 wire system.

Why do I like to put a GFI on the stand?

Because you just might want to take the stand somewhere else and brew and they don't have a GFI outlet. Because maybe I drop dead and my son decides to take over the beer empire and does not know nuttin about no stinkin GFI outlets. Maybe I decide to sell or give away the stand and the dumb arse who uses it next does not know about GFI and fries him/herself.

Other than that I can't think of a good reason to put a GFI on the stand.

Back