dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sos4163

Reaction score
I hope this is in the right thread. I am dry hopping an IPA in a 6 gallon carboy right now. It has been in the secondary for about 2 weeks and appears to be clear. However, when I dry hopped I simply put the hops into the carboy and they are all still floating on top. Can I bottle now or do I need to wait until the hops have settled to the bottom, because I don't think that they will. IF i can bottle, any tips on how to bottle without getting hops in to the bottles would be great. For bottles I am using a bunch on growlers. Thanks.

That's up to you.
I would take a sample: Does it smell as hoppy I want it to? Does I taste as hoppy as I want it to?
If it's "yes" to both, then bottle away.
To bottle, rack to your bottling bucket until the hop layer is at the botton of the bucket, just above the inlet of your racking cane.
Are those growlers "flip-tops"?
I'm not sure if the screwtop ones will work.
:mug:

the pantyhose sounds like a good idea. I am using screw top growlers and the lids have some rubber on the inside for a more secure fit. I have used them before and they seemed to have worked fine. I was thinking about putting some wax around the top to try and keep in more carbonation. any ideas would be great. I would prefer to use the growlers because its easier to fill 10 growlers than 48 beer bottles.

well, i have 10 growlers with screw tops that i got for free. Any suggestions on how i can use them. Are there certain tops you can buy for screw tops that seal better or maybe some sort of adapter that can use a different top. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

I'm not sure how to adapt a growler for bottle carbing. Your best bet is to get some bottles, a capper and some caps. I know it's tempting to use those free growlers but why cut corners? It's been my experience with growlers that the brew inside should be drank asap. That just doesn't seem like an ideal situation for bottling your homebrew.

I'd be careful, I don't think all growlers were designed to hold pressurized beer for long. They might turn into Growler bombs.

I have heard they are prone to exploding. I have one that I have used but it is very thick glass and has a cermamic flip top.

Back