Brewer's Best Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
Just got a German Alt kit from Brewers Best. Was wondering if it would benefit from a late addition of some of the extract (includes one can amber and one can light). I normally do late additions with my lme, after all of the warnings about caramelization, but the kit instructions didn't say anything about it.

Thoughts?

I do that all the time now. I get better bittering and balance. Your doing a partial boil, like around 3 gal. water, correct? For me if there is DME I'll use that first and add the LME for the late addition. For this one I think I'd use the amber in the beginning and the light towards the end. The directions are pretty general and while they work really well they leave room for you to grow and adjust things to your liking.

I actually have the capabilities to do a full boil. So I'll be doing that. But I agree with your idea of doing the amber first and I'll probably add the light with 15 minutes left. Thanks for the advice!

Back