30 gallon test boil is a success...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
25 gallon batches here I come.

After my long brew day this past weekend sparing me to buy another burner and stand I thought "hey, I cam put both burners into one stand and I bet it'll do the big boil. So I did just that, but the two into one and filled up 30 gallons of water at 120*.
It took 43:56 to get from 120* to a boil. Then I shut one burner off and turned the other down to half way and it held the boil. Sweet....

Now I may need to upgrade the 80qt tun to a 160qt.

MVC-799F.JPG

MVC-800F.JPG

MVC-801F.JPG

Awesome feat! That rocks.

My only question is whether that stand is going to hold all that weight -- it looks a bit flimsy to me for all that wort. All I can think about is 25 gals of hot wort rolling out of the pot as it tips and tidal waves towards the family dog or a 3-year old or something. :D

That's a freaking awesome burner, but what are you going to do with that much beer? I'm all about bigger is better, but seriously...any standard beer is going to go bad before you can drink that much.......

Dumb question, how many BTU's are those burners each or better yet how many BTU's are required to hold a boil on that 30 gallon test once you reached boil with one burner throttled down to half output?

I go thru a keg in about 6 weeks and faster when I have people over. So I'm not worried about beer going bad and I only plan to do this big of batches for my mainstay beers The ones I have on tap all the time,

That stand is very strong. I have two of them and that is the older one that I have had for over a year. The new one I would not trust. In my 999 thread you can see the burners almost side by side and you can see the difference in the legs. The old one is different then the new one. The new one wobbles with 15 gallons on it.
Before I fired this up I shook the kettle hard to make sure it would not crash down. But I may bring it into work and weld some more braces into it just to be sure..

The burners are just the SQ-14 burners. The box claims that they are 150,000 btu's but all the info I find online say 55,000. Some day I will build a stand with two Banjo burners or I'll go with two NA burners.

VERY nice sir! I like it! I have the same stand and burner, with an extra 55k turkey fryer burner... I've been thinking of switching which burner is on which stand, but now I'm starting to think that dualies is the way to go!

The burners are just the SQ-14 burners. The box claims that they are 150,000 btu's but all the info I find online say 55,000. Some day I will build a stand with two Banjo burners or I'll go with two NA burners.

So this would mean your BTU output numbers by approximation and a little guesssing it takes 30K BTU's to maintain a 30 gallon boil with a bare uninsulated boil kettle during your test?

So this would mean your BTU output numbers by approximation and a little guesssing it takes 30K BTU's to maintain a 30 gallon boil with a bare uninsulated boil kettle during your test?

Yeah I would say that would a fair number. I'm going to insolate it so thay will help.

Uh oh, you just gave me a little inspiration. I've recently acquired a 30 gallon stainless pot for next to nothing, but wasn't sure what I'd need to bring it to a boil. It looks like I need to get a valve on there, and build another MLT!

A little correct help goes a long way from others sure can save many brewers from making an unbalanced heating system mess. Correct heat BTU output to volume heated not being under or over BTU powered makes for a happy brew session vs making many corrections also keeps the "WAR DEPARTMENT" a little less pissed off. Those "how much more is this going to cost" looks i'm allowed only a couple times a year. Thanks all for your input and this forum.

That's a freaking awesome burner, but what are you going to do with that much beer? I'm all about bigger is better, but seriously...any standard beer is going to go bad before you can drink that much.......

I go thru a keg in about 6 weeks and faster when I have people over.

Uh oh. I just racked 30 gallons into kegs today to last me until April. Either you guys are lightweights or I have to start going to meetings.

In any event, good job on the big boil! Just keep in mind that if you get an infection it will hurt a lot more.

Uh oh. I just racked 30 gallons into kegs today to last me until April. Either you guys are lightweights or I have to start going to meetings.

No I think that is perfectly normal and acceptable for Up North. Also the norm when I lived down south, New Orleans to be exact. Now that I live in Utah I figure I have to drink that much to keep the state average to a respectable level.

Back