Dried fruit = fresh fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildozarkwine

Reaction score
Is there a chart somewhere that tells how much dried fruit it takes to equal a pound of fresh fruit? I know the this can vary on type of fruit and drying method.
I am thinking of elderberries in particular right now but it would be nice to know on other fruits also.
Thank you.

A lot of dried elderberry recipes call for only 4 ounces of dried berries, I like a bit more, like 6 ounces for every gallon. That if from our own dried ones, I dont know how much to use if you are getting the ones on a HBS. Our webpage has some recipes on it with dried elderberry. WVMJ

I was asking because I want to make elderberry wine with fresh/frozen wild berries but the birds have more time to watch for the ripe ones than I do. I should still be able to get enough for a 5gal. batch but was wanting to know in case I need to get some dried to have enough fruit. The local health food store has them for 75 cents/lb while the not so local HBS sells them $10 for 1/2 lb.

For 75C a pound for dried ones at a hippie store forget about picking any and buy as many pounds as you can as they will keep forever dried. Its nice to add a few to whatever red wine you are making to add a little color and flavor and even a little tannins to help them be better, a few added to some other red berry wines can really help. Do they take online orders? WVMJ

My Ball Blue Book says blueberries are 83% water content. If elderberries are about the same you would need to adjust accordingly. What is that, like .27 oz dried for every oz whole? That doesn't sound right...

Back