High O.G. cider...Is there any way to lower it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

Reaction score
I just picked up a bucket of Cider from the orchard and got it home & checked the O.G. to find it was 1.065. If I let it ferment out dry, it will give me an ABV of close to 9%:drunk:. I would like to be closer to 6% or 7%.
Is there any way to reduce the S.G. before I pitch my yeast? Adding water to the cider would lower the S.G.; but would it ruin the whole batch?
The only other option that I can come up with is to closely monitor the S.G. durring the fermentation & cold crash it arround 1.015, keep it cold until it clarifies. Then bottle it & monitor the carbonation level & pasteurize it as soon as the carb level is adequate.
Are there any other options?

You can look for other apple juices/ciders with low OG and blend if you want to keep max apple characteristics. But you'd need lots to bring the gravity down, because its probably at least 1.03 and up.
Water will bring it down, but you may as you said, thin it out too much.
did you want a sweet, semi sweet cider? If so are you averse to using something to kill the yeast @ 7%?
Other than that cold crash re-rack should get you where you want to be, just keep it cold and it will be in stasis. Gives you incentive to drink through your supply faster ;)

Just add some water, it won't water it down that much flavor wise. Doing a cold crash and leaving it sweet can cause a lot more problems than its worth. After the yeast are done fermenting they clean up the by products they put off. If you crash early they won't have a chance to clean it up and you can get a lot of off flavors.

I don't want to kill the yeast as I do want to carbonate it. If my calculations are correct, I would only need to add 6.4oz of water, to a 5 gallon batch, to bring the S.G. down to 1.054 (from the O.G. of 1.065). Does this sound correct? If that is correct, I wouldn't think that it would thin out too much.

Here is how I calculated it:
O.G. 1.065
multiplied by 5(gallons)
1.065 x 5 = 5.325

5.325 divided by 5.05 gallons = 1.054
.05 gallon = 6.4oz
Am I "way off base" in my thinking?

If your OG is 1.065 for 5 gallons, diluting with 1 gallon of water will drop the gravity down to 1.054. If you add 1 gallon to 4 gallons you'll get down to 1.052...3 gallons w/1 gallon water, 1.049

Back