Easy Wheat Recipe For Kenyan Beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyanbrewer

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in Kenya with no access to brewing supplies (things that come in the mail get hit very hard by the tax man). I have a brewing kit and I have made several batches of beer from extract. I would very much like to make a simple all grain wheat beer. We have lots of good wheat and barley in the country and I will bring in some of the small supplies such as the hops which I cant so easily access here. I realize that I will in some cases need to germinate and bake some of the grains and I'm happy to do that but first I want to begin with a very simple recipe. I want to begin with something basic and slowly experiment with more complexity as I get more comfortable with the process.
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or recipes, they would be most appreciated.
Cheers, Jamie
Karisia Walking Safaris

Well- if you have the brewing kit and have done some extracts, then what you are apparently contemplating is moving to all grain, and it sounds like malt will be hard to come by. What happened to Tusker or another brand of local beer? Perhaps a Kenyan brewery could provide a source of malt. You my have access to good barley and wheat, but malting your own grain is another whole thing, quite apart in some respects from brewing.....

Anytime I make a wheat, i start with 6# of Wheat (i tend to use white wheat), and 4# 2-Row. I tend to add some Honey Malt or Caramel 40 to them as well.

@rico567 and SouthBay

Tusker and other brewers are still here and thriving and we even have a little micro brewery or two in Nairobi these days but my aim was to do it myself, right through the malting process. i just ran into these instructions which will help and in addition there is a recipe at the end:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/easy-wheat-malting-picture-guide-322877/

The thing i'm confused about is the 'honey malt'. What is that? and how might i make or reproduce that? Also, how would i go about determining timing of the wheat soaks?
cheers, jamie

Hi,

I live in Kenya too and I am a craft beer enthusiast looking to start my own home brewing gig. I am a food scientist so I get the whole brewing process but mostly at an industrial scale. I dunno where to get a home brewing kit or the supplies either except the grain. I have access too wheat and sorghum( Cant wait to try a sorghum beer). I need a little advice on the basics of the whole DIY brewing. Could you kindly help.

Shopgal
From Murang'a
:mug:

Hi,
I live in Kenya with no access to brewing supplies (things that come in the mail get hit very hard by the tax man). I have a brewing kit and I have made several batches of beer from extract. I would very much like to make a simple all grain wheat beer. We have lots of good wheat and barley in the country and I will bring in some of the small supplies such as the hops which I cant so easily access here. I realize that I will in some cases need to germinate and bake some of the grains and I'm happy to do that but first I want to begin with a very simple recipe. I want to begin with something basic and slowly experiment with more complexity as I get more comfortable with the process.
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or recipes, they would be most appreciated.
Cheers, Jamie
Karisia Walking Safaris

Back