Big Green Egg opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
I am close to buying a Big Green Egg but they are expensive so I wanted to hear the pluses and minuses from people who own them.

I hear the stand that you buy with them is not very stable so I plan on building a table with an area for it to sit in.

You guys and gals that have owned them for a while I would like your opinions. Good things and bad things.

Thanks

I have a Large size BGE. I LOVE it. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I have the nest stand that is for it, and I drag mine all over the back deck to where I want it and I don't have any problems as long as I pay attention to the wheels and the surface to make sure it will roll. One bad thing about it is it takes a while to start up if you are just doing a couple burgers or something. I love it for doing slow smoke bbq. I have done ribs, brisket, shoulder, chicken, even the thanksgiving turkey with amazing results. I also like to get it roaring hot with a pizza stone in it and get that brick oven crust with a little smokiness. I either make my own dough or use those marketfresh pizzas from walmart, either way turns out great. I also like to do steaks at nuclear explosion temps, about 60 seconds per side gives an amazing char on the outside and leaves the inside nice and medium rare. I always do 1.5" prime ribeye, but I have had success with other steaks of various cuts. Just need to get used to the heat. I use royal oak natural lump charcoal in mine, you probably want to stay away from briquettes and lighter fluid. The ceramic can soak in the chemical smell from that and mess up the grill. A chimney starter is a great way to get a lot of coals going real fast. The stock lid gasket sucks, order the high temp one from them for like 6 bucks. I have had that gasket for two years now, works like a champ. I suggest getting the XL size if you ever plan on doing a large amount (more than six racks) of ribs or more than four 6 pound pork shoulders at once. All of that extra space would be nice. But good luck with your decision, I love my egg and I have had it for three years now, and the wife and I cook on it 3-4 times a week.

Thanks for the reply, I am going to go with the Large, very rarely would I need to cook as much as the XL can handle.

I've had my large BGE for several years now (I think like five). I've done the Thanksgiving turkey on it every year, and several one-off turkeys just because it's SOOO good!

The XL doesn't handle a turkey of the same size as the large because the curvature of the lid is lower, so the turkey can't be as tall.

I've done smoked pork, ribs, the turkeys, a flock of chickens, and more veggie kebabs than I can imagine. But I've also baked cookes (chocolate chip with bacon), bread, pizza. I also grill salad.

Steaks are incredible! I do what I call "caveman-style steaks" where I get the grill temp up to about 700 degrees, toss the steaks directly onto the coals for about 60 seconds per side, then pull them out and close the vents to let the grill come down to 400 or so. Then throw them on a cast-iron grate to come to temp.

It takes a bit of work getting used to maintaining temperatures, but well worth getting to know your egg.

I have had my Large BGE for over 12 years. Love it.

I use fire starters to start mine. You can either get them in the camping section of a local Wal-Mart or similar. Or, I use some natural fire starters I got from Whole Foods.

Takes about 20 min to get it up and running.

Search the Egghead Forum for lots of info

The "Nest" works well but gets aged.

A couple links to a table I designed using "Google Sketchup"

Corner table with wood top

Corner table with granite top

I have had my Large BGE for over 12 years. Love it.

I use fire starters to start mine. You can either get them in the camping section of a local Wal-Mart or similar. Or, I use some natural fire starters I got from Whole Foods.

I use a MAAP torch and a hair dryer up the bottom vent to push massive airflow.

Takes maybe four minutes to get up to 400+ degrees.

:D

You will be hard pressed to find a cooker as versatile as the BGE. From low and slow, to pizza to baking cakes, it is simply the best outdoor cooker you can buy. I have used my X large BGE at many BBQ contests to make my chicken turn-in and for the desert catagory making a chocolate layer cake.

I know I'm probably going to take a lot of flak, but I wanted to throw out some of my own opinions of the egg. Firstly, I know it's expensive but if you're looking at buying one then this probably isn't a consideration. You're going the right route by building a stand yourself, because it doesn't come with one and they're ovepriced. Here are some things that I don't like about the egg:

1. Small cooking surface. Even with the larger ones, it feels really small. It's also round which makes it harder to fit multiple ribs, pork butts, etc that have more of a square shape.

2. Cooking surface is too deep for my liking. It might just be my own preference, but I don't like how low it sits on the lip. It just makes for awkward maneuvering. I've seen stacking accessories for the egg though. You pretty much need the special raised pizza cooking stone to use a peel, otherwise if you use your own stone you'll have an awkward time using tongs and a peel or something similar. Maybe I just need a smaller pizza peel...

3. The caps or tops for the egg. They aren't attached, they just sit on top. It's not like they fall off when you open the top, but they come pretty near. The cast iron one that slides open is annoying when opening too, because you'll lose your "spot" and have to re-adjust.

4. The vents on the bottom get stuck sometimes and require fidgeting or pushing one vent in so the other one can slide over top of it. It's just annoying. On other grills I have they slide perfectly.

5. Indirect heating with a plate doesn't give as good control over temp as using a separate box for smoke, a raise/lower charcoal tray, or a setup with charcoal on one half and food on the other. It also makes it difficult if you want to cook perfect burgers/steaks during the day while you are simultaneously doing an all day smoke. This can be done easily on nearly any other grill.

6. Cleaning ash out of it is annoying. I don't want to make it sound like it's the end of the earth or anything, I'm just saying that compared to easier methods of ash removal, it falls short. There's probably some accessory you can use or even shop-vac it out or something but it's not as easy as "slide and dump" stock.

I don't want to deter you from buying it or anything, but these are some things to think about. There's always a way around an issue, I just wanted to point some of them out. I don't know if they have any around where you live, but I would highly recommend at least going to the store and taking a look at them. Really you should find a person close by and cook on one though. It might be your thing, it might not be.

I've never owned a BGE but I know several people that do and love them. I thought about getting one for a long time and finally convinced myself to do it. Though in research someone on the forum here pointed out the old Bubba Keg (new version is called Big Steel Keg)

I ended up getting one of those and have been extremely happy with it. Cheaper and includes a number of items that are extras with the BGE.

I also have a friend with a Primo and I drool every time I see it

I know I'm probably going to take a lot of flak, but I wanted to throw out some of my own opinions of the egg. Firstly, I know it's expensive but if you're looking at buying one then this probably isn't a consideration. You're going the right route by building a stand yourself, because it doesn't come with one and they're ovepriced. Here are some things that I don't like about the egg:

Do you own a BGE? Not trying to be mean but if you hunt around some forums you'll find your "problems" can be easily resolved if you have a proper understanding of how to operate and get the most out of your BGE.

Let me help you resolve a few things.

1. Small cooking surface. Even with the larger ones, it feels really small. It's also round which makes it harder to fit multiple ribs, pork butts, etc that have more of a square shape.

Agreed but the only time I've ever ran out of room is when cooking ribs.
I can cook a 20lb turkey on it.

2. Cooking surface is too deep for my liking. It might just be my own preference, but I don't like how low it sits on the lip. It just makes for awkward maneuvering. I've seen stacking accessories for the egg though. You pretty much need the special raised pizza cooking stone to use a peel, otherwise if you use your own stone you'll have an awkward time using tongs and a peel or something similar. Maybe I just need a smaller pizza peel...

You can make a raised grid, if you like, very easily out of another grid and 3 bolts, nuts and washers.

3. The caps or tops for the egg. They aren't attached, they just sit on top. It's not like they fall off when you open the top, but they come pretty near. The cast iron one that slides open is annoying when opening too, because you'll lose your "spot" and have to re-adjust.

First of all, i disagree that the top nearly falls off.

To keep from having to readjust the sliding part of the lid every time you open, align the cap so when you open the lid, the bolt that the lid pivots on is centered.

Keeping daisy wheel in place when opening Question #46

dw1f.jpg

dw2f.jpg

4. The vents on the bottom get stuck sometimes and require fidgeting or pushing one vent in so the other one can slide over top of it. It's just annoying. On other grills I have they slide perfectly.

Your vent is broke. I've never had this problem in 12 years

5. Indirect heating with a plate doesn't give as good control over temp as using a separate box for smoke, a raise/lower charcoal tray, or a setup with charcoal on one half and food on the other. It also makes it difficult if you want to cook perfect burgers/steaks during the day while you are simultaneously doing an all day smoke. This can be done easily on nearly any other grill.
I don't know exactly what you are trying to say there.

6. Cleaning ash out of it is annoying. I don't want to make it sound like it's the end of the earth or anything, I'm just saying that compared to easier methods of ash removal, it falls short. There's probably some accessory you can use or even shop-vac it out or something but it's not as easy as "slide and dump" stock.
Open vent. Stick bucket under vent. Insert ash tool. Slide ash into bucket.

jetmac said:
Do you own a BGE? Not trying to be mean but if you hunt around some forums you'll find your "problems" can be easily resolved if you have a proper understanding of how to operate and get the most out of your BGE.

Let me help you resolve a few things.

Agreed but the only time I've ever ran out of room is when cooking ribs.
I can cook a 20lb turkey on it.

You can make a raised grid, if you like, very easily out of another grid and 3 bolts, nuts and washers.

First of all, i disagree that the top nearly falls off.

To keep from having to readjust the sliding part of the lid every time you open, align the cap so when you open the lid, the bolt that the lid pivots on is centered.

Keeping daisy wheel in place when opening Question #46

Your vent is broke. I've never had this problem in 12 years

I don't know exactly what you are trying to say there.

Open vent. Stick bucket under vent. Insert ash tool. Slide ash into bucket.

What he said. I was going to say pretty much the same, but I happened to glance out my window and see my Egg on the deck glistening in the morning sun. I got a little distracted. ;)

I don't want to deter you from buying it or anything, but these are some things to think about. There's always a way around an issue, I just wanted to point some of them out. I don't know if they have any around where you live, but I would highly recommend at least going to the store and taking a look at them. Really you should find a person close by and cook on one though. It might be your thing, it might not be.

I am not going to flame you because everyone is entitled to their opinion but I will say that I have never seen or heard of someone getting rid of their BGE because it didn't meet or exceed their expectations.

I am not going to flame you because everyone is entitled to their opinion but I will say that I have never seen or heard of someone getting rid of their BGE because it didn't meet or exceed their expectations.

I have. A co-worker of mine got one a few weeks ago and just got around to setting it up. He did one cook on it and told me he didn't like it because he couldn't get it to hold temp.

I asked my co-worker if he did any reading on properly setting up the Egg for proper air flow or how he adjusted the dampers. He said he used it just like his old oil drum smoker but the temp fluctuated wildly. I explained that it's like steering a battleship (He's an old Navy guy), you have to tweak one thing and allow it to settle in before tweaking again Patience is the name of the game. You have to get to know your Egg.

He said he was to old to learn something new. He ended up selling it to his neighbor who was salivating over getting an Egg.

Though, when I told him I seared steaks at 700 degrees plus, he stopped short and looked amazed. I could tell he regretted dumping it to hastily. :p

I explained that it's like steering a battleship (He's an old Navy guy), you have to tweak one thing and allow it to settle in before tweaking again Patience is the name of the game. You have to get to know your Egg.

So true. Sometimes I slide the lid open or closed a fraction of an inch. Some people just don't want to take the time to do this. I guess it's like anything. I've been trying to talk a few co-workers into brewing beer. 1st 2 questions "How much cheaper is it to brew your own?" "How long does it take?" Never, "Does it taste any better?" "Is it enjoyable brewing your own?"

Then they say "well I can run down to the grocery store and be back in 10 min with a 30 pack for just $5".

Hmmm....okay, you do that.

I can't remember what year I bought mine but it was the mid 90s for sure. I have been impressed with durability, but some items had to be replaced: ceramic fire grate (now cast iron), felt gasket, and recently the metal spring that engages the hinge so that the lid stays up. But for 15 years (+/-) it has held up well. I considered a Percy Guidry model 100 with smoker box back then (similar price at $600), but I wonder how many times I would have had to clean up rust and repaint?

The things I don't like about the egg:
1. Portability. Forget it, I don't like having to move it; ceramic can break. Not saying you can't do it, you just have to be very careful.

2. Easy weekday night grilling. Not that building a fire is all that hard, but sometimes those gas grills seem really easy.

3. The expense. We Americans are masters at justifying the things we buy. If you buy one, just know that every Thanksgiving, Christmas, Super Bowl, Memorial day, 4th, etc. is your chance to justify the expense by cooking at home. Sooner or later you may come out even. Favorite BGE memory: I took a pile of hickory smoked drumsticks to a friends place for Gatty/Ward 2. Made the other snacks look like sissy food.

Overall, I just like the way the BGE provides a rustic, outdoor, over-the-fire cooking method in a controllable, good looking container right on the porch. I have not looked back.

I own two (both large). The first I purchased about 7 years ago. The second I purchased just a couple of months ago for our little lake spot. In the past two months I've made burgers, steaks, pork chops, bacon explosion, pulled pork, meatloaf, roast beef, turkey and pizza. Today being national moink ball day I also felt obligated join in.

I love the egg. If I could convince my wife I'd get another one.

The one thing I would say is really consider a Guru or a Stoker. They are not required but if you are thinking about doing long smokes they really make life simple. You can pick your temp, lock it in and pretty much walk away. The last time I did pulled pork I set it at 225 and basically went fishing.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Moink 2.jpg

Moink 3.jpg

Moke 4.jpg

Wetfoot, you say you come out even eventually.... I was totally even on price the first time I got a pork shoulder smoked in my large bge and it was the best pulled pork i ever had, and all my friends raved about it. Many of them, and more still to this day, tell me I should open my own restaurant. It was that good! Eggs rule!

Basically what I am saying, is that an egg is extremely versatile and easy to use. Once you figure out the heat settings and stuff with the vents, you can make food that blows away anything you get in a restaurant! Not to mention, your skills will transfer to other grills. I used my buddy's chargirller drum type grill, and was still able to do some awesome ribs just from my knowledge of smoking on the bge.

In light of this posting being on the home brew forum. Last year I found my Big Green Egg knock off at Home Depot called the Big Steel Keg. Nice thing was it cost $299 when I bought it. All of the BGE accessories work with it. I found it great to grill on, holds temperature and cooks great.

I love mine for all of the reasons already stated.

Spend a little extra on a handful of accessories (including a stacking method of some sort - I prefer the Woo Ring to the plate setter).

I use the metal stand with no problems at all, but I would like to make a nicer wooden stand/table.

I use Royal Oak lump almost exclusively (lit with nothing more than a MAAP torch).

sriccon, that was my main point. I am glad that people have found their "happy place" with various grills. I used my friends grill that weekend and made awesome food on it. An egg isnt for everyone, but as long as we can provide tips and information for everyone regarlesss of how they cook then that is a plus in my book!

I have. A co-worker of mine got one a few weeks ago and just got around to setting it up. He did one cook on it and told me he didn't like it because he couldn't get it to hold temp.

I asked my co-worker if he did any reading on properly setting up the Egg for proper air flow or how he adjusted the dampers. He said he used it just like his old oil drum smoker but the temp fluctuated wildly. I explained that it's like steering a battleship (He's an old Navy guy), you have to tweak one thing and allow it to settle in before tweaking again Patience is the name of the game. You have to get to know your Egg.

He said he was to old to learn something new. He ended up selling it to his neighbor who was salivating over getting an Egg.

Though, when I told him I seared steaks at 700 degrees plus, he stopped short and looked amazed. I could tell he regretted dumping it to hastily. :p

I don't want to say anything bad about your buddy but some people just can't see the forrest for the trees.

I am not going to say anything bad about your co-worker but he didn't even give it a chance. It's his loss. It's kinda like giving up on all grain brewing because you can't throw everything in a pot, simmer add water and just boil like an extract.

I think the only thing I can add as an Egghead is to check out the eggheadforum.com and see if there's an eggfest in your area. It's well worth a drive if you have one near by, some are free other's a few bucks to cover food or bands, etc. But most offer demo discounts on Eggs used at the fest and it's a nice savings. One of ours here offers a nice discount on egg/nest and also 20% on all accessories. If you go ahead of time and tell them what you want they will be sure to have it. My family and friends have been trying to sign up to be a griller at ours and I just did a trial run having almost 40 people over for some fine swine and home brew, I just don't know if I am ready to stand up to a bigger, broader audience. 

Love my egg knock off! 10 years still the same trusted service! Red oak table.

From what I am finding the knock offs are almost as expensive as the BGE.

What kind of prices are BGE going for in your areas?

Here a large (just the egg) is $850.

I got my knock off for 335. large eggs were double that at the time I have a imperial kamado as well that I found at a estate sale it works well! I talked my buddie into a grill dome I say they are way superior to bge!

Wish I had an egg, but I have the large WSM, and it makes a mean Q. For half the price or less, not a bad starter option.

I got my knock off for 335. large eggs were double that at the time I have a imperial kamado as well that I found at a estate sale it works well! I talked my buddie into a grill dome I say they are way superior to bge!

The Grill Dome prices that I found online is only 100 less than a BGE and that does not include shipping which is 60. Is Imperial Kamado still in business, their web site is hosed, it goes to komodo komodo which looks like the real expensive tiled ones.

I wouldn't recommend a kamado or an imperial kamado the kamado people are very flakey and the imperial kamado is fired clay not recommended for over 500 degrees. The grill dome is much thicker than bge and holds heat better. I have a small bge and a large knock off that has mostly bge parts on it. No matter what you buy make it a 18" so you will always find parts for it. I got mine on eBay many years ago, and I have had very good luck with it!

Actually just for chits and grins I went to the Grill Dome website and did a comparison between the BGE and the Grill Dome and I don't see any basis for your "superior" statement. The Xlarge BGE is larger than the largest Grill Dome, other than that they are pretty much equivalent. As a matter of fact the prices of each cooker are within $6 of each other with the BGE at $1065 and the Grill Dome price at $1059. I am curious why you think the grill dome is superior?

They are saying that the grill dome ceramics is twice as thick.

They are saying that the grill dome ceramics is twice as thick.

Twice as thick as what? Most of the comparisons drawn on the website are with metal cookers. They never mention the BGE. I measured my BGE and the Grill Dome is only slightly thicker. Only believe half of what you read and half of what you see and always take what you see in an advertisement with a grain of salt. Never make a statement based on what you read in an advertisement. Remember, there is no such thing as something for nothing.

Twice as thick as what? Most of the comparisons drawn on the website are with metal cookers. They never mention the BGE. I measured my BGE and the Grill Dome is only slightly thicker. Only believe half of what you read and half of what you see and always take what you see in an advertisement with a grain of salt. Never make a statement based on what you read in an advertisement. Remember, there is no such thing as something for nothing.

I definitely know that there is no such thing as something for nothing. I also know that marketing campaigns and can add price to a product is not superior. (That is why college boys love Corona). I think that some name value is adding to the cost of the BGE, but that said it is probably worth the extra 100 bucks.

I will probably go with the BGE, the large is 860 here. If I drive 150 miles I can get it for 800. I may see if I can talk the store that wants 860 down on price.

I definitely know that there is no such thing as something for nothing. I also know that marketing campaigns and can add price to a product is not superior. (That is why college boys love Corona). I think that some name value is adding to the cost of the BGE, but that said it is probably worth the extra 100 bucks.

I will probably go with the BGE, the large is 860 here. If I drive 150 miles I can get it for 800. I may see if I can talk the store that wants 860 down on price.

there are lots of johnny come latelys to the kamodo style cooker and i'm sure many are completely adequate and some maybe even excellent, but if you are going back and forth over a hundred bucks, go for the big green egg. i've got three now and will one day have a medium one and to be honest, the only other one i'd even consider is the big steel keg and that is strictly for portability.

I have a bge chiminea and the problem with bge us if your retailer closes you are screwed for warranty my bge retailer closed my buddie had a firebox problem and jumped through hoops to get service! They kept telling him to go to the retailer! My friend also has a grilldome and it dosent need a gasket it is a very good product and in my opinion it is better than bge! The bge looks cooler if you like green! As with everything personal preference is everything! I have been using a sazco for 20 years they were the first ceramic egg pre bge it is ceramic blend from the former Rhodesia that now due to international trade law can't be traded! 20 years of high heat cooks not a crack my dad had it 20 years before that! Pull the trigger on the bge if ya want make sure to save the recipt incase the dealer you bought it from goes under.

Back