Will starsan defeat jet dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueGoose85

Reaction score
I need to get evil jet dry off my bottles before I bottle. Will soaking in starsan remove the head depleting nasties?

the reason why i asked about starsan (i know its a sanitizer) was that in a 2009 thread, a dude was saying a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water removes the jetdry film. thought the starsan may be able to work.

Vinegar and water mix is good for removing hard water deposits. Are you trying to remove jetdry residue, or hard water deposits? The two look very similar...

GatorDad said:
Vinegar and water mix is good for removing hard water deposits. Are you trying to remove jetdry residue, or hard water deposits? The two look very similar...

Just the jetdry residue. I got a dry stout to bottle and would hate for no head

I have gotten completely away from the dishwasher and the evil jet dry. I had major head-depleting problems until I realized the Jet dry was killing the head. Now my routine is to rinse thoroughly, and soak in OxyClean Free, dry and store until needed. Then, a quick soak in Sarsan, and bottle. Never had a problem using this method.

First, I'm religious about rinsing my bottles right after the pour - I don't let anything settle or cake on. When I'm ready to use them, I run them through the dishwasher on "sanitize" mode (superheated water) - with dishwasher soap, but no other additive (e.g. jetdry). I then dip them in starsan a few mins prior to filling. Works for me, but YMMV. :)

Back