Oak essence?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
oak-essence.jpg

http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=9059

Would this work for beer? Would you do the same ratio as wine?

I love oak character in a beer--but I'm scared to death to use oak chips because of the possible sanitation issue. This would make life so much easier....

Discuss.

Brewpastor said:
Jack Daniels sells wood chips made from their barrels. They smell like whiskey. Maybe try that in your randall.

BP...I stocked up on those when I saw them last year. Good idea.

Can you imagine the first pint of the "day after Randall beer" after sitting on oak and hops all night long? OMG.... :rockin:

I use Stavin oak cubes. Slower extraction rate than chips but they provide a more rounded oak flavor. I steam for 15 minutes, cool and add directly to the secondary. I've never had a problem with contamination. Never used the essence but it would definitely be quicker than the cubes.

Edit: I'm scared of my Randall now. :(

Stone makes an oak tea that they use for their oaked beers. They do barrel some, but the majority and general oaked beers they release are tea brews.

So does anyone think the essence would NOT work? What about rates? I don't know anything about wine or its oak characteristics. Would it be similar (as far as a ratio) for beer?

So how would you make an oak tea? Soak the chips, drain the water, cook the tea to sanitize it and add it to the fermenter? Hmmmm..........

I think the essence would work. Just add it a bit at a time to your bottling bucket and taste until it's at the level you want it.

So how would you make an oak tea? Soak the chips, drain the water, cook the tea to sanitize it and add it to the fermenter? Hmmmm..........

I would bring the water to a boil, toss in the chips, turn off heat, cover and let steep for 10-15 minutes.

Dude have you ever used WLP 013 London Ale ? It has a oaked character itself. I have used this on APA 's and IPA's with great results.

I used an oak extract in my oaked Irish Red. It was an alchohol based extract. I just added to taste in the keg. It starts out with a strong whiskey taste but it mellows after a month or so.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Just steam the chips and dump 'em in...wood is pseudo-antibiotic to begin with (or antiseptic, or something like that).

Yeah, it works for wine. You could always add them to your secondary.

Dude said:

Just boil them for ten minutes and decant the liquid nastiness; cool ,and throw in secondary...Overpowering at first, mellow after some months.

I don't see any reason this wouldn't work. I'd start with the same ratio, but typically, auxiliary flavors in wines are on the subtle side. So, you'll probably end up at 2-3 times as much. If you are bottling, add the recommended amount & bottle half. Add 1/2 as much and bottle the rest. Compare in two months & report back.

kegs, I'd just use the base amount and kick it in a month if necessary.

TWIMC - always file the pointy corners off oak chips before inserting them in your randall.

I use this exact product in winemaking when I want to see the imediate affects of oaking, then use oak cubes or add the wine to oak barrels if I like the addition of oak. It is different from the real thing but not bad at all. No experience with beer though.......yet. If you have other questions I may be able to answer them.

Back