1 minute and Late hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So this is a question to everyone that uses some sort of bag to contain and filter their hops prior to transfering the wort into the fermenter. When a recipe calls for hops at flameout or 1 minute before the end of the boil, do you place it in the bag, or throw the hops directly into the wort? When do you remove you bag with all the hops? I almost feel like i am wasting hops if I put it in the bag and only use it for a minute. Isn't there a lot more aroma that could be pulled while you are chilling? Obviously the hops could be thrown right in, but then that could cause issues with siphoning later

I throw the hops right in my hops bag. After flame out, I simply leave the pot alone while I am getting the plate chiller ready and fermentor. Don't be in a hurry to get the wort out, let the hops and all wort goodness relax and meld together.... nothing will grow when the wort is still about 200deg. The idea of flame out addition isn't the bittering properties but the aroma and these hops shouldn't sit that long any way - just a few minutes or so to extract..... I also leave the bag in place while chilling

I bag leaf hops, but not pellets as leaf hops clog up my pump but pellets don't. Anyway, I leave my hops in during chilling. To me, it's important to do that so that the 1 minute and 0 minute hops have time to steep in the wort.

i used to put all my hops in a bag. i felt that i wasnt getting proper hop utilization. after my 4th or 5th batch i added all hops: Bittering, Flavor, or Aroma directly to the wort. I then filter the beer going into my fermetner with a 5 gallon paint strainer that sat in a solution of starsan.

I feel, that i get more out of my hops by letting them float all around the wort. No wasy for me to back that up, just my opinion.

Thanks to all for the responses. So it seams that most people using a bag leave the bag in the entire time the wort is chilling? I think I will start doing this as it makes the most sense.

Last brew I put all my hops in the bag except for the 5 min addition, which I added directly to the wort. This caused some problems when siphoning the wort to the fermenter for me :(

All hops right in the drink all the time. I never use a bag as I have a badass fine chinois that I run the wort through after it is cooled. It helps aerate and gets rid of all the hop schwag.

I stopped using bags and leaf hops mostly for the reasons you're stating. I just didn't feel like I was getting good wort contact for late hop additions.

I bag leaf hops, but not pellets as leaf hops clog up my pump but pellets don't. Anyway, I leave my hops in during chilling. To me, it's important to do that so that the 1 minute and 0 minute hops have time to steep in the wort.

Where do you have the space to do this? With my IC in the pot and the bag of hops inbetween the coils, there's no room to stir for faster cooling -- in my pot at least.

Where do you have the space to do this? With my IC in the pot and the bag of hops inbetween the coils, there's no room to stir for faster cooling -- in my pot at least.

I think she has a pump, so she doesn't have to stir...I wish I had a pump so badly! I know what you mean though. I have yet to try this, but I am thinking I could tie the top of my bag to the top coils of the IC and let the bag hang in the middle, then I can stir in circles with the chiller itself (this is what i do now for stirring)

Latest posts

Back