simple ale recipe for beginer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb23

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum here and also pretty new to brewing in general. I've brewed two batches of beer out of the coopers kits, and they came out pretty well. However, with coopers the whole process is pretty watered down. the extracts all come hopped, and you're not even supposed to boil the stuff, just throw it right in the fermenter with hot water. I was hoping someone could give me a real simple ale recipe I could try that would be easy for a beginer, but more complex then the coopers stuff

Thanks

John Palmer's recipe from How to Brew. Note the two packets of yeast are simply because one might be bad (you only need one for the beer).

Cincinnati Pale Ale
Ingredients for a 5 gallon batch

* 3-4 lb. Pale malt extract syrup, unhopped
* 2 lb. Amber dry malt extract
* 12 AAU of bittering hops (any variety) For example, 1 oz. of 12% AA Nugget, or 1.5 oz. of 8% AA Perle
* 5 AAU of finishing hops (Cascade or other) For example, 1 oz. of 5% Cascade or 1.25 oz. of 4% Liberty
* 2 packets of dried ale yeast

get a can of the coopers liquid(3.3lbs i think) then add to that a lb or 2 of Dry Malt Extract. Then pick out 2oz of hops(I would go 2 oz cascade, but you can mix and match later once you kinda know what tastes like what and what to put into which beers etc.)

look up the CENTENNIEL BLOND recipe. I think there is an extract version. Or edworts HAUS ALE which is pretty similar. I have made both and I am a beginner. I did the AG versions but they are easy and taste very good.

heres john palmers extract american wheat:

OG: 1.035 - 1.045
FG: 1.005 - 1.010
20 - 30 IBUs
Commercial example: Sierra Nevada Wheat

Three Weisse Guys - American Wheat Beer

6 lbs. of Wheat Malt Extract
(60% Wheat, 40% Barley)

OG for 5 Gallons

Hops IBU Contribution

1.5 oz Liberty (4%) at 60 minutes
1 oz Liberty (4%) at 30 minutes
26ibu
american ale yeast(us-05, wlp001, wyeast 1056)
10 days at 65 °F in Primary Fermenter.

If you want to do something really simple, just buy 5-6lbs of light or extra light DME. Pick a hops with mild to medium bitterness. Cascade is a common and readily available variety. Buy 2oz. Get 2 packets of dry ale yeast. Bring 2.5 gals of water to boil. Remove the pot from the heat. Add and thoroughly dissolve your DME into the water. Return to heat and bring to boil. Add 1oz of hops. Boil for 40 minutes. Add 0.5 oz more hops. Boil for 20 minutes. Add the last 0.5 oz of hops. Remove from heat. Cool wort below 80*F. Pour wort into fermenter. Top off with water to make 5 gallons total. Pitch 1 or 2 packets of dry ale yeast. Let sit for 3 weeks. Bottle and let sit at 70*F for 3 weeks.

What kind of beer do you prefer? The recipe section has plenty of extract with specialty grains recipes. Many of the AG recipes aren't too difficult to convert to extract with specialty grains. I think you'll be much happier switching away from the prehopped extract.

Welcome to HBT:mug:

If you want to do something really simple, just buy 5-6lbs of light or extra light DME. Pick a hops with mild to medium bitterness. Cascade is a common and readily available variety. Buy 2oz. Get 2 packets of dry ale yeast. Bring 2.5 gals of water to boil. Remove the pot from the heat. Add and thoroughly dissolve your DME into the water. Return to heat and bring to boil. Add 1oz of hops. Boil for 40 minutes. Add 0.5 oz more hops. Boil for 20 minutes. Add the last 0.5 oz of hops. Remove from heat. Cool wort below 80*F. Pour wort into fermenter. Top off with water to make 5 gallons total. Pitch 1 or 2 packets of dry ale yeast. Let sit for 3 weeks. Bottle and let sit at 70*F for 3 weeks.

there ya go easy peasy

alright thanks for the ideas, I Think I'm gonna try what JJL suggested and I'll let everyone know how it goes

I just picked up:

7lb light/pale LME
1lb 40L crystal malt (pre crushed)
.5oz 14.4 AA Magnum (45min)
2oz 7 AA Domestic Sterling (.5oz 45min, 1.5oz 5mins)
Dark Brown Sugar (adding 1lb to kick up the ABV to 6.5%)

will be steeping 40L for 30min at 170 degree then add 1lb of LME; hopping, then adding rest of LME and Brown Sugar with 5 min hops (doing a 3.5 gallon boil)

simple recipe to get procedures down pat. will be doing this saturday. I have to get a 20lb bag of ice to throm it in though....(really need a wort chiller if someone wants to donate...might make one...here I go rambling.

my 5c worth & a simple amber ale recipe.

Muntons Blonde 1.5kg.
Amber Malt Extract 1.5kg.
Cluster Hops 5g - boiled for 10 minutes in 250 ml water.
Safale US-05
23l batch.

turned out really quite nice after 2 months bottle conditioning :mug:

If you want a simple English brown, my recipe (under my avatar) is designed for beginners and is super easy to do. It tastes like Newcastle quite a bit when finished.

Back