lost my notes. Now all are "mystery" hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
:)
I have lots of nice vines growing, and some of other varieties coming in at different speeds. Unfortunately I cannot find my ^%#^%#ing notes as to what was planted where over the years.

I suppose I can just go by smell and flavor and use them for flavoring/aroma and dry hopping. I figured this year would be the first one where I had enough to do some batches, since last year was a bad drought. I got my climbing poles up to 16+ feet each, and will add some twine to help this weekend. I already have 8-10 vines (and those are spiraled around all the posts, so must be much longer).

I was concerned that this would happen to me too. So I planted all of mine alphabetically. As long as I can remeber which varieties I have planted, I can figure out which is which.

I was concerned that this would happen to me too. So I planted all of mine alphabetically. As long as I can remeber which varieties I have planted, I can figure out which is which.

Now that's brilliant! I simply planted one kind only, and now I don't have to worry about figuring it out... unless I forget that one kind.

I went so far as laminated signs on the posts. The original marker faded out before the first summer was over. Fortunately, I had a file that showed the configuration.

I sort of added mine over time here and there, but I'm not really too concerned. I'll try to see if I recognize them with the pictures that were linked when harvest times come along. I'm pretty sure my huge one is cascade. I may end up with a lot of that eventually, as I transplant some each season where other varieties don't take well.

Ha ha! Sucks to be you! I only planted Cascade, so I know what they all are.

Seriously, though, this might be a good opportuninty to judge your hops by flavor and aroma, instead of relying on a recipe. You could even make a "Mystery Ale", where NOBODY knows what the hops are!!

Thats exactly what I did today. I am horrible with keeping notes / records and I didn't put up any spiffy signs.

I went alphabetical cascade, chinook, willamette. So far the cascade is going crazy, nothing from the chinook, and the willamette have a couple of shoots just barely started.

I planted a cascade and a centennial. One sprouted, one didn't. Now I can't remember which was which.

I only have two fuggles and one Golding. No chance of forgetting which is which. I have harnessed the power of obsession over them. :)

Back