Questions about water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
As I have posted before, my water here is VERY hard and has so much iron and gunk that a white bucket filled with water will have a bunch of black specks in the bottom. I was given a brand new reverse osmosis device for my kitchen, but I am completely clueless about what to do to the water after I use it. I think my beers are pretty decebnt so far but they do have an off taste in near all of them. The only constant besides equipment is the water. Can someone point me to " BREWING WATER FOR DUMMIES" or something along those lines?

I used the info in Ray Daniels' book "Designing Great Beers" to make my brewing salt calculations. Your LHBS may also have some salts that you can add to RO water.

I also use RO water since our local water is high in Arsenic. I use a combination of calcium chloride, table salt, baking soda, gypsum and epsom salts.

My water is very hard and tastes funky. I just use the cheap 2.5 gal jugs of grocery store generic drinking water to be sure. I even use my PUR filter for my coffee. It makes up 99% of beer... use the good stuff.

Back