CO2 tank question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
To start, I know the difference between 'industrial' and 'food grade' CO2.

Okay, now that that is out of the way. I have a neighbor who wants to sell me one of this numerous CO2 tanks because he isn't using it and heard me say i need one. He has something like two 20#ers and 4-5 5#ers sitting in his attic and garage.

My question is this, he has so many tanks because he does lawn and athletic field spraying and uses the CO2 to push the spray.

Now, other than giving the tanks a good scrubbing, would be there any danger in using one of these to push beer? I haven't seen his setup to see what kind of regulator he uses, but i'd assume it's one that would keep anything from backing up into the tank, but i can certainly ask.

I'm just worried that the tank could contain some kind of chemical nastiness given what they are being used for right now.

Tanks are under 600+ PSI, and I doubt that anything would get in them. The ez trick would be to find a gas dealer that would simply "Trade you Out" of your bottle for a full one.
I'd go for it either way.

Tanks are under 600+ PSI, and I doubt that anything would get in them. The ez trick would be to find a gas dealer that would simply "Trade you Out" of your bottle for a full one.
I'd go for it either way.

+1 go for it. They should be perfectly fine, other then an extra cautionary scrubbing/sanitizing, but most any welding place will simply swap them out for filled tanks (if they are aluminum, KEEP THEM! lol)

Okay, let me change directions a bit. If given the option between the 20lb and 5lb tank, which should i choose? I know 'more is always better', but keep in mind a few things, though. First, i'm using a standard fridge right now, so the tank will likely sit inside with the cornies. Second, from what my neighbor has told me, the napa here in town exchanges tanks, so refills shouldn't be too difficult.

thoughts?

I think you go with what you're gut is telling you. If a 20# is gonna take up too much space, go with the 5#, but if you have plans to expand, the 20# could be nice...

But back to your statement about "industrial" and "food grade"....CO2 is CO2. If it was any different it wouldn't be CO2. Yes, they may be handled slightly different, but it's still CO2.

I think you go with what you're gut is telling you. If a 20# is gonna take up too much space, go with the 5#, but if you have plans to expand, the 20# could be nice...

But back to your statement about "industrial" and "food grade"....CO2 is CO2. If it was any different it wouldn't be CO2. Yes, they may be handled slightly different, but it's still CO2.

+1 on that. There is no such thing as industrial and food-grade C02. They may tell you there is but as stated above, CO2 is CO2, plain and simple.

Yeah, i mostly led with that to avoid people chiming in about 'avoiding industrial CO2' (believe it or not, but i actually did a search on that topic).

personally, I would go for both.... or rig the 20# as an external tank if you are worried about space. With the cost of filling a 20# versus a 5# yoiu will save a good deal of money with the 20. just my $0.02

i haven't priced the difference for refilling yet. That is a good point. With a standard fridge, how hard is it to rig up an external tank? I know it'd require drilling though the side or back (right?) and i know that is a great way to kill it.

5# - $10
20#- $14

That's at my local weld shop. I like having both, for when one finally decides to go empty on me. The shop is only open until 5, M-F, and with my work schedule, it ends up me racing over there, right before they close, and the filler guy is gone for the day. Swap my aluminum tank for steel? No thanks....

at my company we charge $20 for a 5# and roughly $27 for a 20#. you save a ton of money getting a 20# tank.

as far as drilling through the side of the fridge, i just drilled a hole, and put a line through, then used silicone to patch up the rest of the hole.

i would go through the side and not the back, my coils are in the back

Back