Another hydrometer question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
OK... Just got my e-bay hydrometer.....

1 My hydrometer reads 0 in pure watter....
2 if that water has items disolved in it it reads a higher number
3 we assume that a portion of these "items" are fermentable sugars and what-not.
4 the change from pre-fermentation to post fermentation shows the amount of items that were fermented.

We derive the A content with this number via the brix scale?

Do I have this right?
are there not issues with this process like temp changes and elevation changes?

thanks

Ultimately, it's the delta between starting gravity and terminal gravity you're looking for.

If the temperature at the initial reading is the same at the final reading, no adjustment is necessary.

It's only when the temp changes (Say from 75 at start down to 66 at final), that you need to adjust for temps.

My favorite method is actually using the specific gravity.
Take Orig Gravity Minus Final times 1.3
For example, if you use 1 pound of sugar and 1 pound of honey in 1 gallon of water and you have a Beginning gravity of 1.100 and use Champagne yeast to get a final gravity of .0998
the math is:
1.100 - 0.998 = 0.102
.102 x 1.3 = .14 or 14%

Please note that you will NOT have these numbers with beer.
:mug:

The elevation changes shouldn't matter to you since you are really interested in the change in specific gravity. The temperature will have some effect though. You will want to adjust for whatever temperature your are measuring at. The hydrometer is probably calibrated at 60F.

I've been on here for months and I never knew there was a wiki...
hehehehe

thanks guys.

Back