American Belgians?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkagain

Reaction score
Just trying to figure out what American breweries are making Belgian style ales? The ones I'm familiar with,

Lost Coast
Avery
New Belgium
Allagash
Russian River
Victory
Lost Abbey
Ommegang
Unibroue - yeah I know, Canada =)

So who am I missing that deserves to be tried? I'm looking to stock up for the holidays and would like to try a few new ones if I can find 'em.

New Belgium is a big one, but you can't always get their stuff if you're far away. I've never so much as laid eyes on a bottle of fat tire.

I love Ommegang.

Brooklyn made a Tripel lately that rocks.

Sir Humpsalot said:
Yeah. It's called Local 1 and is very tasty!!! :rockin:

That beer was lost on me. I seem to be one of the only people who wasn't too impressed with it. For American Belgians, I'd say;

Southampton - Best Saison I've had

Collaboration Not Litigation - Best American Belgian (in general) I've had

I don't know where you are in the Pacific Northwest, but Lazy Boy Brewing in Everett does a Belgian Strong Ale. I'm not a big fan of Belgian-y beers, so I can't really comment, but others have told me that it's good.

Lots of small breweries are making them. And a lot of it never sees a bottle or a distributor. I'd say just visit more breweries. 2 of 4 here have belgians on tap.

Personally I hate the stuff, but Blue Moon is a "Belgian White: Belgian-Style Wheat Ale"

There's no Canada Like French Canada!

715_image_07.jpg

maudite.jpg

;)

Unibroue is and always has been one of my favourite breweries. Even though they sold out. Fin du Monde is delicious. Plus, Wyeast sells their yeast!

uglygoat said:
i'm enjoying these beers. they have the same flavor as an authentic belgian ale, but at half the price. win in my book.

One of my favorite brewers for sure. I haven't tried anything from them I don't like.

Well just got back form the beer store. Picked up,

Uniboue 16
Stone Vertical epic 7-7-7 Not sure if this is a Belgian or not?
St Bernardus 12
Moylans White Christmas
Avery Salvation
Lost Abbey Red Barn

I'll have to make another trip before christmas gets here.

Don't forget Celis in MI. I haven't had it yet but it is supposedly more Hoegaarden than Hoegaarden. Very interesting reading on the history of Pierre Celis and the advance of the larger breweries in Europe and the US.

Evan! said:
I've never so much as laid eyes on a bottle of fat tire.

Seriously? I thought they had wider distribution than that. Maybe it's just because you can't throw a rock in Denver without it bouncing off a couple of bottles of Fat Tire.

Evan! said:
New Belgium is a big one, but you can't always get their stuff if you're far away. I've never so much as laid eyes on a bottle of fat tire.

Wow, I thought everyone got New Belgium beers. You can't go anywhere here without seeing Fat Tire, Mothership Wit, and 1554 here.

I just recently had a Belgian Trippel from Great Waters Brewing Co. when I went to a MN Wild game last week. Great beer, but unless you're in St. Paul, no dice.

Stoudt's Dubble was one of my favorite Belgian styles.
Avery's Fourteen is one of the most unusual beers I have experienced. I tastes like they used a Belgian yeast but is a dark brown, nearly black and has a strong hop aroma. Very yummy.
Craig

jds said:
Seriously? I thought they had wider distribution than that. Maybe it's just because you can't throw a rock in Denver without it bouncing off a couple of bottles of Fat Tire.

I don't think New Belgium products make it out to the Mid-Atlantic area in general. I have a few friends that trucks stuff back when they come home on the holidays from Colorado.

brewt00l said:
I don't think New Belgium products make it out to the Mid-Atlantic area in general. I have a few friends that trucks stuff back when they come home on the holidays from Colorado.
I have seen Fat Tire as far east as Chicago.

It almost sounds like it's got the whole Smoky and the Bandit thing going for it when I go back east. It does get really hyped, even though I think there are some really great east-coast brews that people don't even know about. But, it's damn nice to have beers, like the ones they brew, available at every single liquor store around here at lower than "rare microbrew" prices. I picked up their Trippel a few days back and I forgot how good it was. It sucks that you can't get La Folie (their Flemsih sour Brown) at the liquor stores even here. (Its damn good!)

Wow, I tried Russian River at the GABF. Those are some good ones too. Lost Abbey had some really adventurous ones as well.

I work very close to the Avery brewery. It's a great place. They brew some really outgoing beers that almost always surprise with their drinkability and uniqueness. Their Hog Heaven Barleywine is the best I've tried of the style. They have a really chill tasting room and even have small homebrew sized batches on tap sometimes. If you're ever in Boulder it's a must see even though it's one of the smaller breweries.

CrazyToad said:
Southern Tier's triple is pretty good. I was actually planning on picking some up after work today.

I took their mixed case to a party a few months ago that had the porter, triple, pale and IPA. I didn't sample the triple but the pale and porter were really good. IPA was kinda "eh."

brewt00l said:
I took their mixed case to a party a few months ago that had the porter, triple, pale and IPA. I didn't sample the triple but the pale and porter were really good. IPA was kinda "eh."

Yeah, I didn't enjoy their IPA either. I never noticed before last week, but they sell individual bottles of their triple at Wegmans.

CrazyToad said:
Yeah, I didn't enjoy their IPA either. I never noticed before last week, but they sell individual bottles of their triple at Wegmans.

It surprised me considering how solid the other brews were. There was a case of Sierra Anniversary there and the IPA just couldn't stand up to it.

Back