Credit Where Credit is Due...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Dean

Reaction score
I was thinking about beer on my drive home from work today... Specifically, JewBeard's Pumpkiny Ale.

I've not made, tasted or even read the recipie for this beer but a question did pop up for me. How does one "Credit" a beer, and does one have an ethical obligation to do so?

I'm a member of the Free Software movement, and we often compare the ideals of the movement to recipies. We feel that the golden rule requires that we share things we like, find useful and enjoy.

That said, I'm concerned with making brew for my friends and co-workers... I've already had a co-worker, who knows something of the scene, say "Have you named it?" referring to my Irish Red. If I were to use JewBeards's recipie, or any, do I have an obligation to call it "JewBeards Pumpkiny Ale" or can I use my own name?

That's a good question but honestly, unless you turn someone's recipe into a business venture, I don't think it matters. Every recipe is basically a slight adaptation of something you had once. Even if you make it up from scratch, it's probably exactly the same as someone else's without knowing it.

I feel completely different about the matter. Even if you use exactly the same ingredients as someone else, you're beer will taste different than theirs, your efficiency is likely to be different, your measurements a tad off, your ferment temps a bit different.
If you've made it with your own two hands, it's yours.
If someone asks if it's your recipe, it'd be nice to credit who created it, but name it whatever you please.

For myself, I think if you deliberately follow someone else's recipe exactly you should give credit - if for no other reason than because it's a nod of appreciation to your fellow homebrewer. The fact that it was made in your brewery still gives plenty of that personal touch that also allows you to call it 'your beer'.

That said, I agree with the previous posters regarding the name. In the end unless it's for profit it doesn't really matter.

Kevin Dean said:
............"If I were to use JewBeards's recipie, or any, do I have an obligation to call it "JewBeards Pumpkiny Ale" or can I use my own name?"

Main Entry: pla·gia·rize
Pronunciation: 'plA-j&-"rIz also -jE-&-
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -rized; -riz·ing
Etymology: plagiary
transitive verb : to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (another's production) without crediting the source
intransitive verb : to commit literary theft : present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source
- pla·gia·riz·er noun

:)

Well, ya know, guys, it's not like you're going to go commercial with your brews(or are you?)

Treat it just like a couple old ladies at a church bake sale:
Agnes: "Oh these cookies are delicious! You simply MUST tell me where you got the recipe!!!"
Myrtle: "Why thank you! The recipe was my grandmother's, God rest her soul"
:D

Once you make the recipe, it's YOUR beer. Take credit for brewing, and if anyone asks, give out your sources.

Now if you were to enter the brew into competition, then it would prolly be different. Not sure about that one...........:confused:

Just like cooking, there are only two factors in any given recipe:

1) Ingredients
2) Process

While the number and amount of ingredients may be finite, there are too many other variables that make a difference. Just the PH of your water alone will make your beer different than the original recipe. Add to this variances in grain crush, pellets VS whole leaf hops, first-use yeast VS a harvested batch…etc.

And the process…the PROCESS. Nearly impossible to match up exactly. Your 68% efficiency is going to taste different that someone else’s 82% efficiency. Your batch sparge will not be the same as someone else’s fly sparge. Your 149 degree mash is certainly going to have a different profile than my 156 degree mash.

I mean let’s face it, the Bud’s, Coors and Millers of the world probably have pretty similar recipes, but I’ve never read Bud can that gave Miller credit for creating a rice water beer recipe.

So in my opinion, your beer is your beer. But I want credit if you brew my Blue Balls. :D

Back