Do D-rest or not to D-rest (or will I have a good lager by Superbowl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyusmc

Reaction score
Ok brew gods; to D-rest or not to D-rest

On Jan 6, 2012, made a 5 g, Helles lager with WLP 0930 Old Bavarian, 2 liter starter at 1.040 with approximately 330 billion cells.

OG was 1.0151

pitched at 57 degrees and yeast was approxiamtely 55 degrees.

today looks like the cake dropped, last night.

do I need a D-rest?

or let it stay in the primary for another week dropping it to 40 degrees then keg (force carb for a week) and drink on Super Bowl?

(in retrospect I should brewed a week earlier and not rush a lager ohwell next time).

thank you

:drunk:

I think I'd drink something else for the super bowl. This beer needs at least a month, probably more, of cold lagering.

I started mine on New Years day and I won't be drinking mine either.

I'm actually good with waiting past Super Bowl ,but the whole D - rest issue has me concerned I do

artyusmc said:
I'm actually good with waiting past Super Bowl ,but the whole D - rest issue has me concerned I do

As I was saying I don't want butter beer.

I was hoping with low pitch temperature a D rest wouldn't be needed.

So one week per Plato point means 4 weeks' but how long to lager in keg????

Actually I wouldn't say you pitched cool at all. You pitched higher than the maximum fermentation temp for that strain. I would definitely D rest and lager for at least a month. Don't rush it.

I'd definitely do a diacetyl rest now, assuming the beer is at 1.020-1.022 or so.

It won't hurt, even if it's not strictly needed.

Diacetyl can be hard to detect in low amounts. It's a "slick" or oily feeling on the teeth or tongue, and in the mouthfeel. It's only a butter bomb in huge amounts. The thing is, if there is a tiny hint of diacetyl now, it'll get much worse with lagering.

So I'd do the diacetyl rest until the beer is at FG for at least a day or two, and there is NO hint of any slickness in the mouthfeel. Then the beer can be racked and lagering begun.

I brewed an Octoberfest Lager in the middle of December and wont be ready to kep or bottle until about the first of March. You definitely need to cold age a lager.

You should easily be able to drink it for the Super Bowl.

Do the d-rest for a couple of days. Ensure your beer is finished fermenting.

Then rack it to a secondary vessel, and use a clearing agent like Biofine if you have it. Most people (including myself) have also had excellent success clearing beer with gelatin. It is readily available at your supermarket, easy to use, and effective. Give the beer a week to clear. Keep your beer as cold as you can without freezing it for this.

Rack your beer to your keg the week before the Super Bowl. Turn your regulator psi up to 30. Your beer will carb up nicely in about 36 hours. DON'T LEAVE THE GAS TURNED UP FOR TOO LONG or you could end up with ridiculous foam. The length of time you need depends on the temperature of your beer. Mine is about 34 degrees during this step. When you are ready to drink it, pull the release valve on your keg and turn your gas down to 10-12 psi or whatever you serve at.

You really aren't in that much trouble to hit Feb 3rd if you keep the steps moving along. Raise the temp for d-rest NOW. As others have noted, your beer will improve marginally with longer lagering periods, but you can make great lagers quicker than you think. Yesterday I tapped a keg of Oktoberfest brewed December 15th and it is phenomenal. Good luck!

Thanks everyone ill do the D rest Wednesday thru Friday then rack to keg and get done to lager temps

Now to read up on gelatin

Really trying to purity laws but blew
That when I add DME

I ll sample it on Feb 3

I never use gelatin or other post-boil finings, and my beers are clear as can be. You can if you want, but I like having vegetarian/vegan friendly beers on hand, plus I like the whole "no additive" thing for myself as well.

I think the beer will be really good by superbowl Sunday!

Was glancing over the 2011 NHC gold medal recipes and noticed a lot of them used clearing agents. Must be something to it if the best of the best are doing it.

Ask Revvy about that one osagedr, he had a few judges complimenting the clarity of his work when he didn't even secondary:eek:

In the end, if you're careful in racking or just plain patient, you can get really clear beers. Though, if I were brewing for a comp, I'd probably use any advantage possible as well. In the mean time I personally just let em sit and save the extra $ for more supplies since I'm broke and in college.

Congrats on the 2012 title by the way!

Ask Revvy about that one osagedr, he had a few judges complimenting the clarity of his work when he didn't even secondary:eek:

In the end, if you're careful in racking or just plain patient, you can get really clear beers. Though, if I were brewing for a comp, I'd probably use any advantage possible as well. In the mean time I personally just let em sit and save the extra $ for more supplies since I'm broke and in college.

Congrats on the 2012 title by the way!

Thanks Sparticus, of course one can obtain clear beers without clarifiers. But the OP is in a rush, and sounds like a rookie lager brewer to boot.

Good luck with your studies! Personally I find being a prof way better than being a student ever was ;)

Thanks Sparticus, of course one can obtain clear beers without clarifiers. But the OP is in a rush, and sounds like a rookie lager brewer to boot.

Good luck with your studies! Personally I find being a prof way better than being a student ever was ;)

Yes im new to lagering and learn alot on HBT

so I will learn patience
:D

I'm in week two of lagering my batch and it is very clear. I use whirlfloc in the kettle to settle things out, but I've also done batches without it and they come out just as clear in the end.

I'm considering putting mine into the keg and putting it on CO2 so it will be ready for a taste or two next weekend for the game. Then I'll let it sit for a few more weeks before I drink for real.

Well an update

I made beer very good beer in fact

unfortunately my team didnt make it in (PAts) but ive got good beer

Back