Different take on brew sculpture...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbcoach

Reaction score
I finally got my brew stand done, ready for my first all-grain IPA on Memorial Day.

I pretend to be a fabricator, making some off-road components, self-taught, no skill other than not being afraid to use the tools I've accumulated.

I made mine out of 1.5/0.120" DOM tubing. I made the "home-built" stainless steel tubing bender to make the coil and pretty much just went with a different take. Its on 3 wheels, rolls easily, keggles are bolted to the "hoops", burners are adjustable and it works well.

I've done 2 test boils, I'm in the process of doing a 3rd then I'm going to check on how fast the temp changes when running 10g of water through the coil.

In any event, its done and ready for its first batch...:D

file-8.jpg

file-1.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-3.jpg

file-7.jpg

file-4.jpg

file-5.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I wanted the whole banana but in a smaller footprint than I've seen.

With the 3 legs, I can spin it around in place or roll it about anywhere and keep things nice the tight. I wanted to keep it low enough that I could see in the bottom of the MT and still be high enough that I could gravity drain from the BT into my carboys.

I ran a "calibration" run for lack of better terms, I wanted to see how efficient the HERMS coil is. I got the HLT up to 170, had the MT @ 80 and ran the pump to see how quickly the MT got up to temp and what the temp was coming out of the coil as compared to the temp in the HLT.

I found I could slow it down enough so that the exit temp matched the ambient temp. I then ran it full open and noted the temp change going in and out, about 5 degrees below the ambient temp exiting the coil. This leads me to believe I can manipulate the temp ~5 degrees by using flow rate through the coil.

But, thats all things to learn and take notes during the brew process on my new system...:mug:

Awesome! If it weren't for the black powdercoating it would almost looks Seussian. Great work.

Have you brewed with this yet? I am looking to build a brew sculpture of some sort, and this has a number of favorable attributes. Nice work!

Yes I have. First was my Smuttynose "finestkind" IPA (my personal fav) and just did a "summer ale" on the 4th of July.

Second batch went way smoother with less spilage and waste. And...FASTER. Just had a better chance at making a system and it worked out well...

looks great! but I have to wonder, how stable is it on just three legs?

Very. Some dimensions might help put it in perspective. The height at the top of the HLT is 64", sitting on a 44" diameter base, 3 opposing legs @ 120 degrees. With the MT and/or BT filled, it helps keep the weight low and stable. With the HLT @ 10g and the BT & MT empty, I've moved it from the garage to the driveway for cleaning and it rolled great.

Would I ride it down the driveway that way, no. It's really meant to move in place, one of the reasons I went with 3 legs on castors. I can spin it in place as I go from mash to boil to drain to clean.

I know it's odd but it works for me. I just got deposit for another but made from bent 1.5" square tubing...:drunk:

Back