I workout hard to drink good beer and eat good food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
The older I get the more of losing battle it has become. I'm not complaining just saying is all.

:mug:

Just turned 40 and it might be time to start thinking about it.

5'-11" 155 lbs.

It has a lot to do with genetics. I still wear the same sized jeans as when I was married, 23 years ago. I also noticed that after 40, it does take some extra work to maintain.

-

I'm actually probably in the best shape of my life right now, but I am also working out several times a day to keep it up. I also am probably more concious about my diet than ever. Unfortunately, my cholesterol, which I always used to be able to control through diet and excercise, has started to creep up over the past year or so and I suspect drugs to control it are probably someplace in the future. Sigh, ah well, same thing happened to my dad. The guy ran daily, ate well, big on the vegetables and low fat and he eventually had the same issue. The good news, his doctor now tells him he's in great shape and should have a lot of fine years ahead!

I was 140 or so right after high school and remained thin for years after. I started gaining a bit of weight when I got a desk job (had a pretty physical job until then) and once I got in the high 30's it got real close to 200 lbs. That's when I started eating stuff like celery and carrots for snacks at work and eating fewer carbs and watching calories. Started drinking diet soda, and only now and again. Even got my wife on diet Dew. She was a pretty good Dew addict for years.

I eat good stuff on the weekend and try to eat less of it, and when I have time I hit the bike. I am close to 180 now and am fine with that, but I'd rather be closer to 170. Hard to pick up High School chicks with a gut that sticks out a bit.

The most workout I get is lifting my fat ass off the couch to pour myself another beer. I take solace in the fact that I'm the same weight as I was when I was 19. :D

Seriously, though, I am envious of those that have drive and ambition to workout. I've never been thin, so it's hard for me to imagine the results of a serious regimen. I'm sure I'll have to someday, when the doc tells me it's affecting my health.... :tank:

Hard to pick up High School chicks with a gut that sticks out a bit.

Especially when you're 23 years older. That's why I just hold my checkbook out the window when i'm in a school zone. Try competing with that, Mr. High School qb.

-

Back