OK brain trust and plumbers how long will this hold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Before everyone craps on this idea, it's how my counterflow chiller is hooked up and it works quite well. Anyway, this is a pic of my brewing sink water source with attached line going to a water filter. Today the filter line just popped out and flooded my room. It's a normal plastic line with a brass ferrule inside it to protect it from being cut by the compression ring. It won't seal up for anything.

So I took 2 silicone o-rings and they fit perfectly in the base of the connector nut, no compression ring, and it didn't drip a bit. Will this hold? I could pull out on the line and it doesn't budge, I know I need to figure out a way to hook a shutoff to the filter, just haven't figured it out yet.

I do plan on shutting the water off every night to be safe. Is this idea crazy?

DSCN3183.jpg

Were you using a metallic or plastic compression ring for the compression fitting? Plastic tubing needs a plastic ring.

Below is a photo of how to properly set up compression fittings for use with plastic tubing.

cleartubing-compressionadapter.jpg

Look carefully at which direction the taper goes on the compression ring. If you do it backwards, it won't hold.

not only do you have a plastic Ferrel you have an insert as well to keep the tubing from collapsing.

-=Jason=-

Yeah. The way I read WW450's post, I think he has the brass insert, but is using a metallic compression ring (which is technically called the ferrule. I think what WW450 refers to as the "ferrule" is actually the stiffener).

Remember, compression fittings should only be tightened to hand-tight plus 1/4 to 1/2 turn. If you have to tighten more than that, something's wrong.

As for trying to keep it working with a couple of o-rings -- that's not something I'd want to do. All you have to do is forget to shut the water off once, and be away from the house when the fitting lets go, and you've got a 6-figure repair bill from a failure in a $5 part.

That's great advice from JDS. Hell, you might consider soldering something up....

Were you using a metallic or plastic compression ring for the compression fitting? Plastic tubing needs a plastic ring.

Below is a photo of how to properly set up compression fittings for use with plastic tubing.

cleartubing-compressionadapter.jpg

Look carefully at which direction the taper goes on the compression ring. If you do it backwards, it won't hold.

That's exactly what failed. It popped right out. I re-tried it with a brass one and it wouldn't seal.

As for trying to keep it working with a couple of o-rings -- that's not something I'd want to do. All you have to do is forget to shut the water off once, and be away from the house when the fitting lets go, and you've got a 6-figure repair bill from a failure in a $5 part.

That already happened with the supposed "right" way to do it. Frustrating.

_____

you can get a stainless braided supply tube that will screw right on to that compression fitting.
what type of connection do you need on the other end?

you can get a stainless braided supply tube that will screw right on to that compression fitting.
what type of connection do you need on the other end?

No, it has to go to a water filter which has those stupid press in fittings.

That's exactly what failed. It popped right out. I re-tried it with a brass one and it wouldn't seal.

That's why I'm not a big fan of compression fittings for plastic tubing. They're the bee's knees for metallic tubing, but I trust PEX crimp fittings more than I do compression fittings on plastic.

Back