Looking for a dark and hoppy recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nokitchen

Reaction score
For her birthday my girlfriend wants to make a beer that is both dark and hoppy. But we're not sure what direction to go in. Have you tried any "black IPA's?" What about hoppy porters or stouts? We probably don't want to go the super-malty direction of an Abita Turbo-dog style but we'd consider it.

What are your favorite dark and hoppy's?

Make an IPA and throw in half a pound of Carafa III. That darkens it quite a bit without too much flavor.

If you're looking for something dark and hoppy, then I have a few suggestions since this is a style of beer that I am just learning that I enjoy.

Stone Sublimely self righteous is an american strong ale, but basicaly its a malty, roasty IPA. There's a recipe here for it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/stone-xi-anniversary-clone-51521/#post517660

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I'm looking to in the future.

You could also check out the Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale. I don't usually like brown ales, but if they were more like then I could get into it. Has a lot of roasty character and a good hoppy aroma that I enjoy. There are a ton of clones for this beer around if you search.

Personally, I feel like if an IPA is dark, then it should have some roasted notes. I don't understand just making an IPA black just for the heck of it.

Austin Homebrew has a Black IPA kit that I made a couple months ago. Seems to be getting rave reviews from my friends. For me, I'll toss some hops into secondary for the next batch but that's just me.

I agree with you; my girlfriend thinks it's would be just fun. Like a green beer, I guess. We'll definitely look into a CDA as an option. Having a couple recipes in Zymurgy is a nice piece of serendipity -- I've been forgetting to renew and now I've got the push to make me remember.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Back