First re-pitch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
So I've gone to Mr. Malty and tried to calculate this but I'm having trouble getting a confident answer here.

I have a Hefeweizen sitting on WLP300 Hefe yeast and I'm going to brew a Dunkelweizen this weekend and I want to just pitch part of the cake from the Hefe to do this Dunkel but I've never done this before.

The Dunkel is only around 1.052, so would just scooping one cup out and putting it into a new fermenter be enough to do this dunkel?

I've heard that when re-pitching you don't want to over do it either because you'll get better specific qualities from the yeast (ie. clove and banana for this strain) when you still make the yeast grow and work, in other words not pitching a ton of slurry at the start.

Advice?

If you want the banana and clove qualities of the yeast, don't pitch the entire cup. I don't do this for any kind of wheat, you get more of the esters if the yeast have to reproduce. If you don't hit your FG, you can always re-yeast later.

If you want the banana and clove qualities of the yeast, don't pitch the entire cup. I don't do this for any kind of wheat, you get more of the esters if the yeast have to reproduce. If you don't hit your FG, you can always re-yeast later.

This is what I was talking about. Thanks for the confirmation. So like half a cup of slurry??

Back