Sanity Check on my IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjibbad

Reaction score
I plan on brewing this next weekend, Just wanted to bounce the recipe off the pros here before I commit any unthinkable act in brewing:

12 Lbs Malt Eurp (Pale 2 row)
1 Lbs American Vienna
.5 Lbs Cara Pils
.5 Lbs Crystal 60L
3 Lbs Amber DME late addition ( I only have a 5gal MLT)

1 tbs Gypsum added to mash water

2 oz Amarillo (9%) 60 min
3 oz Amarillo (9%) 20 min
2 oz Amarillo (9%) 5 min
3 oz Amarillo (9%) dry hop

Safale S-05 Prepped a few days out
Mash Temp 153

Looking for:
1.090 OG
115 IBU
20 SRM

Looks pretty face-meltingly awesome to me!

One thing I'd change (and it's not a big deal really) is take out that Cara-Pils; I personally never use it. The crystal 60L will give you the same effect of head retention and body.

Otherwise, yeah.... do it and let us know how great it is!

sweet thanks.... the order is in to Hops direct for this one I'll stop by the LHBS on monday to get the rest. This is going to be awsome!!!

I just got a couple pounds of Amarillo from Hops Direct -- just so you know, you're likely to get 7.5%AA Amarillo, regardless of the %AA listed on the site. So adjust your quantities as such.

I've got a suggestion and a question. First, the suggestion, change the amber DME to light DME. There's really no noeed for the amber and if the beer turns out awesome, it will be easier to convert it to completely grain when you get a bigger mash tun. Secondly, the question. What do you mean by "s-05 prepped a few days out"? Dry yeast should not be used with a starter, if that's what you're planning. Just pitch two packets. It's probably cheaper doing that than paying for the extract in a starter anyway, and definitely easier.

Are you sure you want to add a tablespoon of gypsym to the mash? Seems a bit much to me... teaspoon maybe, depends on your water.

Yea, you may want to err on the lower side with the gypsum, especially with IBUs that high, the bitterness could get overly harsh. Other than that, it looks like a winner

RGR on the 1 tsp typo on my part thanks. And will do on the light DME. As far as the S-05 I was going to do a starter with it since my OG is estimated around 1.090. Should I just switch this to Liquid yeast and a starter or is just re-hydrating 2 packets of s-05 good enough?

Back