3 Gal Igloo MLT - How much grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadrick

Reaction score
I picked up a 3 gal Igloo MLT in a bulk equipment buy.

1) How much grain can I reasonably mash?

2) How much sweet wort should I end up with after sparge?

I want to brew a 5 gal batch of hefe this weekend and need to find an appropriate recipe or modify one to fit the equipment. The balance of the sugars will come from LME added to the boil. FYI, I will be doing a partial boil as the BK is on a electric stove top and struggles to maintain a full 5 gal boil. I would like to keep the boil down to 3.5 - 4 gal max.

TIA,
Rick

1. 7 1/2 lbs @ 1.25 qts/lb (no infusion mash out)
2. Up to 2 gallons for first runnings

My first MLT was one of these. Still use it for small AG batches. Works fine.

4058d1200177169-critique-my-mlt-mlt5.jpg

Be nice for small PM batches, I guess. I have a five gallon, and need to scale up to a 10 gallon for AG batches.

I use my 3 gallon cooler to do 3 gallon AG batches. I like the batch size since I feel like I have a lot more freedom to experiment since batches don't cost much at all to brew.

Also, for brewing on the cheap, I can do full boils on the stovetop rather than invest in a turkey fryer.

It's not for everyone I know, but give a three gallon batch a try some time and see what you think.

I make 4 gallon batches for my 3 gallon keg. I use a five gallon better bottle for the little batches. The five gallon MLT works better for the little batches, too.

I'm going to keep the little MLT when I put together the 10 gallon.

I do PM's with my 2gal igloo and I can use up to 4lbs of malt per batch. This is where I got my initial inspiration and have cut my costs considerably. This article suggests 6lbs for a 3 gal cooler, but that is at 1.375gal/lb of grain. check it out i've found it very useful and introduced so fellow brewers to PMing with it.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Countertop Partial Mashing -

i recently purchased a 3G Bubba Keg so i'm watching this thread. I did a countertop partial mash with 5 lbs of grain but had terrible efficiency my first PM.
Bubba%20Keg%20128.jpg

Thanks all for your input.

I just pitched the yeast on today's batch using your advice. To set the record straight I have a 3 gal Rubbermaid drink cooler not an Igloo as I said in the OP. It is taller and thinner than the Igloo, so it creates a deep grain bed.

Recipe:
6# Wheat
8 qts strike water 70*C = 65*C mash
60 min rest

sparge: 7 qts 80*C (4qt and 3qt addition)

output: 3.15 gal 1.055 gravity sweet wort

Added 3# DME during the boil and topped off in the fermenter to 5.5 gal
OG 1.054 5pts higher than anticpated.:rockin:

Comments:
I'm not sure I like the falsebottm and collection tube that it has. The false bottom is very heavy gauge plastic with very small holes and the dip tube doesn't reach to the bottom of the cooler. It would stop drawing and I had to fiddle with it to get it flowing again. It flowed very slow but I know the 100% wheat was largely to blame, Next time I will use rice hulls.

Back