Yeast Question in general-Apfelwein.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadic_Joel

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am the guy everyone loves to hate...the guy after a week who says "somethings wrong...should I shake it?" :)

After 8 days the fermentation has slowed A LOT. Perhaps one bubble every 10 seconds. I did up a one gallon batch...but poured in the WHOLE pack of Lalvin 1118 yeast. (OG 1.070)

Could the bulk of the fermenting be done? Is that normal for most fermentation's....that the bulk is done in the first 7 days? This being the only thing I have ever brewed I have no comparison..

The recipe says 4 weeks...but are the last three very slow? Could my lalvin have ate threw all that AJ faster? When comparing the yeast it did say the lalvin was super "vigorous"

OR AM I JUST BEING CRAZY? Should I just shut the door on the closet and wait 3 more weeks to take a final gravity?

Thanks...

J

Just walk away for another few weeks. Yes, the last few weeks goes slowly but it goes. Let the yeast finish up it's job and clear before you get too excited. :D

My last cider looked like it was done in less than a week and actually started clearing. Let it go a bit, its still working even though it doesn't look like it. I have bottled after two weeks however, and per the hydrometer it was done fermenting.

Very true...the hydrometer tells all! Ill let it go...I was just wondering how a "normal" fermentation process goes. :) I have a feeling with my case it will finish a bit early...all the more time to clear I guess.

With ciders, the vast majority of the fermentation will be over after anywhere between 2 and 10 days. After that the yeasties are just going after every other little bit of sugar, just one by one.

Back