Looking for all grain recipe with calypso & citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjaffy

Reaction score
Anyone have a favorite india/american pale ale recipe that would work good with citra and/or calypso hops? I have enough 2 row to make 2 5 gallon batches with a couple pounds each of rye, vienna, crystal 20 and maris otter along with 4 ouces each of citra and calypso. I have some wlp california and 300 standing by to do the dirty work.

I just did the same thing with MO.... The calypso kind of suck. Good for bittering but really no flavor. All I can taste is Citra, which I love so I will drink away

I never found a recipe so I rolled my own, started with an AHS Apocalypso all grain kit with some additions and a bit of inspiration from Edworts Haus Pale ale with regard to the addition of some vienna malt. I've previously brewed the Apocalypso which uses magnum for bittering and calypso for flavor and aroma and like it. I wanted to brew something a little higher gravity than I normally do (been doing a lot of session brews lately), and I wanted some rye in there.

This is my first time using beersmith2, so some of these numbers might look funky but the ingredients are right:

TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.67 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.67 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.05 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 104.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.9 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 14.5 %
1 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 4 7.3 %
1 lbs oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.3 %
1.00 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 8.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Calypso [12.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 41.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 22.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Calypso [12.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 32.1 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 17.99 qt of water at 167.6 F 152.0 F

I have this in the fermenter now with some WLP 001 that I had washed and started with a stir plate for the first time. It's bubbling away - I'll let you know how it all works out. Next up will probably be a straight citra-based SMaSH

I've had this naturally carbonating with priming sugar in a corny keg for a few weeks and just dropped it in to my keezer last night after my calypso ale ran dry. I have to say this recipe turned out great. It has a fantastc citra aroma, great mouthfeel and malty body in balance with the hops. I'll definitely brew somerhing similar again.

chezzesteak said:
I just did the same thing with MO.... The calypso kind of suck. Good for bittering but really no flavor. All I can taste is Citra, which I love so I will drink away

+1 on the calypso opinion

+1 on the calypso opinion

+2 I just did an all-calypso rye session beer...bittered with calypso, finished with calypso, dry-hopped with calypso.

It's just not all that tasty. Sort of funky. It tastes like an infected beer..sort of phenolic/plasticy but without the band-aid burps that usually follow. (It was a healthy clean ferment with proper pitching rate and temp.)

I'm not a fan.

Latest posts

Back