anyone in CO growing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmcl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had success. We're east of Boulder, just a couple miles west of I-25. We get a nuclear dose of sun in the summer, but I have a drip irrigation system in place for the garden already. From what I've read, Cascade are pretty hardy, and I could certainly use them.

Also, how much would one plant produce in dry weight? I know not to expect much in the first year. I brew about 15 batches per year and would like to get most of my hops from my garden.

I'm in Colorado Springs and I planted 3 cenntenials this past spring. My plants only produced about 1/4 ounze of cones. The hops grew better than I anticipated and I really enjoyed this extension of the hobby.

I'm in Broomfield and failed miserably growing hops this summer. However, I planted late and the holes I dug for the rhizomes were not very big. Next summer I plan on digging larger holes (my soil contains a lot of clay) to help with the draining. That said, I have a friend in Boulder that grows crazy hop plants with huge yields, so I know it is possible.

I'm in Broomfield and failed miserably growing hops this summer. However, I planted late and the holes I dug for the rhizomes were not very big. Next summer I plan on digging larger holes (my soil contains a lot of clay) to help with the draining. That said, I have a friend in Boulder that grows crazy hop plants with huge yields, so I know it is possible.

When I planted I dug a foot wide and about 20 inches deep and filled this with miricle grow soil. I did this as you said to avoid clay clumps and allow the roots of the hops to grow. I covered it all with mulch to keep the ground moist.

CSU has there research field in Ft Collins.Got hit hard by hail last year.I have them growing in Paonia Co (5 acres) just google colorado organic hops

I live up in Wyoming and I grow Nugget, Chinook and Willamette. My freezer has about a pound of dried and vacuumed sealed hops that says the front range can do just fine.

Good luck.

-Michael

I'm in Longmont, right next door to you. My first year plants last season put out 2 #'s That I used in a Harvest IPA and just brewed a Haus Ale with 2 dryhopped oz. of my Cascade. Alas there are no more now
Cascade (big producer) Kent Goldings, Northern Brewer and Brewers Gold
This season will put into ground Chinook, Nugget, Magnum and Williamette.
I would love to use Colorado grown rhizomes if there are any of these varieties ready when I am!!! (hint hint)

Back