Belgian Brew Night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PseudoChef

Reaction score
Brewed a Belgian last night...Dubbel-esque, I suppose. Decocted inside, then moved out to 38 degree temps for the boil. Wasn't too bad. A real smooth brewday - right at 75% eff. even though I designed the recipe for my current 65%. Oh well, that's what I get . I also think it went so well because I only had one beer - Abbey Ale by Ommegang - throughout the entire process.

IMG_1146.JPG

My daughter is happy that we hit the protein rest right on.

IMG_1148.JPG

Boil started.

IMG_1153.JPG

Homemade candi sugar, and the first and only hop addition.

IMG_1156.JPG

I heart the HBT hop bag.

IMG_1160.JPG

Candi sugar out of the tupperware. It was still a little soft, so I couldn't break it.

IMG_1163.JPG

Finally got all the kinks worked out with my Shirron/Wort Wizard combo. I now love this thing.

IMG_1164.JPG

Took 7 minutes for the first 5 gallons. 13 minutes total to cool 9 gallons down to 58.

Pitched WLP500 and will wait a little before adding WL653 to the 4 gallon fermentor.

Excellent, your daughter is so cute.

I love your hop bag in the kettle, I just built one tonight myself, it looks exactly the same. And there's nothing like making the candi sugar yourself, did you get the citric acid from lab?

Professor Frink said:
Excellent, your daughter is so cute.

I love your hop bag in the kettle, I just built one tonight myself, it looks exactly the same. And there's nothing like making the candi sugar yourself, did you get the citric acid from lab?

Yeah, the hop bag is probably the best $10 I've ever spent. It's definitely a life saver putting the wort through the Shirron.

And no, I just used lemon juice. I cheat like Rodney Harrison.

Back