Sauerkraut Starter Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much did you use per pound of cabbage in the original batch?

That's about a 4% brine, which is very strong. If you need to top up with brine, shoot for a 2% to 2.5% solution, so about half that much salt in 16floz water.

I think it was a tablespoon for 5lbs of cabbage.

Hey, what do you guys think about a mixed fermentation, where a 1.040 wort is fermented with a sacromyces ale strain, and then adding a big krautlacto starter after a month in secondary?

The idea would be to have a clean beer in the front half of fermentation, then ferment the remaining sugars with lacto for a sour beer finish.

Thoughts?

Hey, what do you guys think about a mixed fermentation, where a 1.040 wort is fermented with a sacromyces ale strain, and then adding a big krautlacto starter after a month in secondary?

The idea would be to have a clean beer in the front half of fermentation, then ferment the remaining sugars with lacto for a sour beer finish.

Thoughts?

I do the opposite. I do a fast sour starter, then pitch a big lacto starter into an unhopped boiled wort thats 110-115F. My fermenter is a 5 gallon cooler. It ferments 3-5 days, then I boil and hop and brew as normal.

Its a fast souring method.

I just checked my email. This got shipped to my other residence during the holiday!!!! :rockin:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...+stoneware|41|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=NLASEARCH

img69o.jpg

This traditional hand-molded stoneware crock glazed in an attractive white with blue stripes is made from a retired mold brought back by our artisans in Ohio. Lactofermentation is what gives sauerkraut and traditional pickles their signature tang; it also delivers probiotic microorganisms that benefit digestive and overall health. Simply place your prepared vegetables into the crock, lay on the included crescent weights, fill the gutter and add the lid. The crock’s clever design allows carbon dioxide to escape the crock while keeping unwelcome microbes like mold out. In four to eight weeks, you’ll have piquant pickles and sauerkraut.

- Attractive stoneware crock allows for easy fermentation of sauerkraut and pickles.

- Includes two 8" x 4" stoneware crescent weights to keep contents submerged.

-3-gal. capacity.

- Made in USA.

Thread Hijack....
Or not.
I have a Dry Stout on primary now going for two weeks, it looks finished and clear notwithstanding it´s pitch black.
This was fermented using harvested yeast in "Less than Ideal" conditions, so an infection is not out of the possibilitites.
The problem is it has a really funky smell. I am letting it run -for now, until I need the cold storage space for other ferments, but, before throwing it down the drain (Second time only in more than 20 years brewing), Do you think somethin can be achieved by pitching Sauerkraut brine?
I have a batch of sauerkraut going for a little less than two weeks that I can "milk" to pitch.
Also, I have some Liquid Malt Extract that I can pour to up the S.G. a little bit and give the newly pitched culture something to munch on.

Moderators.
Please let me know if this is apprpriate, or, do I start a new thread?
Thanks in advance for your time and considerations.

Thread Hijack....
Or not.
I have a Dry Stout on primary now going for two weeks, it looks finished and clear notwithstanding it´s pitch black.
This was fermented using harvested yeast in "Less than Ideal" conditions, so an infection is not out of the possibilitites.
The problem is it has a really funky smell. I am letting it run -for now, until I need the cold storage space for other ferments, but, before throwing it down the drain (Second time only in more than 20 years brewing), Do you think somethin can be achieved by pitching Sauerkraut brine?
I have a batch of sauerkraut going for a little less than two weeks that I can "milk" to pitch.
Also, I have some Liquid Malt Extract that I can pour to up the S.G. a little bit and give the newly pitched culture something to munch on.

Moderators.
Please let me know if this is apprpriate, or, do I start a new thread?
Thanks in advance for your time and considerations.

Take a gravity measurement. Then taste it.

If it's soured and not yet done you could pitch the dregs of brettanomyces after you drink most of it. Know that it's a year commitment though. You can also buy a blue PET 5 gallon water bottle for $6 to keep it in too. Got mine at Wal-Mart. If you do that, also buy seltzer water to top off the carboy. Aside from topping off, this adds a needed co2 blanket.

Well,
This ferment totally surprised me...
Not only it was not infected, but when I went to pitch Sauer Kraut liquid to it, it smelled and tated fine, removed from fridge a few days and then back in for two more and bottled.
So far one of my best batches.
Thanks for the comments and sorry again for the hijack.
Chanoc

Anybody thought of using the brine from Morrocan Lemons to kettle sour? I think thats my next project. Gotta finish my current batch of kraut so I can start some lemons first.

Anybody thought of using the brine from Morrocan Lemons to kettle sour? I think thats my next project. Gotta finish my current batch of kraut so I can start some lemons first.
That's interesting.

Are Moroccan lemons a fermented sour like kraut? I have a Mediterranean cook book with a recipe. I thought about trying it one time. Never thought about the fact it's like salty fermented kraut.

That's interesting.

Are Moroccan lemons a fermented sour like kraut? I have a Mediterranean cook book with a recipe. I thought about trying it one time. Never thought about the fact it's like salty fermented kraut.

I know very little about them. Only what I've read on the interweb. Started a batch last week. Can't wait to see what they become. I figured since they are preserved the same way you make kraut, that there should be some of the same kind of bugs in them. Only one way to find out. The mad chemist in me has shown his ugly face, and taken over all normal thoughts. Takes up to 3 months before they are done, so I have some time to do more research.

Edit: I guess I read that wrong. Takes 3 WEEKS, not months. I made them using this article
https://www.daringgourmet.com/how-to-make-preserved-lemons-moroccan-middle-eastern-cooking/

Last edited:
I know very little about them. Only what I've read on the interweb. Started a batch last week. Can't wait to see what they become. I figured since they are preserved the same way you make kraut, that there should be some of the same kind of bugs in them. Only one way to find out. The mad chemist in me has shown his ugly face, and taken over all normal thoughts. Takes up to 3 months before they are done, so I have some time to do more research.

Edit: I guess I read that wrong. Takes 3 WEEKS, not months. I made them using this article
https://www.daringgourmet.com/how-to-make-preserved-lemons-moroccan-middle-eastern-cooking/
I'm only half way through the article and know I need to make them.

Latest posts

Back