priming cider??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benkeirs

Reaction score
sorry its not about beer, but does anyone know if I need to add extra sugar before I bottle my cider, it's a pre-mixed one that came in a can.??

if you want it carbonated, you prime it just like beer 1oz dextrose per gallon.

pre-mixed in a can? one of the Mr Beer cider kits?

benkeirs said:
sorry its not about beer, but does anyone know if I need to add extra sugar before I bottle my cider, it's a pre-mixed one that came in a can.??

how long ago did you put together this cider? wait at least a month or 2 and then package! I agree amandabab!! for 3 vol 1oz per gal, 4+ vol(soda) 1.5-1.75oz sugar per gal.. if your going high on carb, make sure to use thick bottles or wine/champagne bottles to avoid bombs :mug:

amandabab said:
if you want it carbonated, you prime it just like beer 1oz dextrose per gallon.

pre-mixed in a can? one of the Mr Beer cider kits?

yeah the brand is brigalow I think, I havnt herd many good reports on the final product, will definitely just use apple juice next time I reckon

Yeah, you need to do more research on hard ciders. They are easy to make, but they are not the same as beer. When you think of the commercial examples of hard ciders, you think of Strongbows and Woodchucks, etc., which are mostly "wet" ciders with lots of residual sweetness.

Your premade batch is going to end up more like a dry English cider. There isn't going to be much residual sweetness, if at all, and it will take a good bit of aging to even have a good apple flavor.

There is a cider forum on this board. Read up for your next batch. You can make a REALLY good batch of cider using apple juice from the grocery store for under $20.00 for 5 gallons.

Good luck!

There is a good cider sub-forum here, check it out. Also, depending on what your final product tastes like you may not need to let it sit longer than 3-4 weeks. If it tastes harsh, leave it. If it tastes good, bottle it! Good luck.

Back