New Product! Cool Brewing Fermentation Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone successfully done a cold crash in these bags? What were the ambient temps, and how did it work out?

ive done it with some success. my room temp is around 80F. i usually keep my fermenter cool for the first week, let it go up to room temp over the course of week 2. dry hop for 3-4 days. then pack it full of frozen water jugs a day or 2 before i bottle and itll help drop most of it.

Has anyone successfully done a cold crash in these bags? What were the ambient temps, and how did it work out?

ive done it with some success. my room temp is around 80F. i usually keep my fermenter cool for the first week, let it go up to room temp over the course of week 2. dry hop for 3-4 days. then pack it full of frozen water jugs a day or 2 before i bottle and itll help drop most of it.

That's great! Do you by chance know what final temp you achieved, or did you just pack it full and see how it goes?

Either way, my ambient temps right now are around 70, so if you pulled it off at 80, I should be in good shape. :mug:

ya i think that extra 10 degrees will work better too. I didn't take a temp reading but my guess is it got down around 50-55F.

That's great! Do you by chance know what final temp you achieved, or did you just pack it full and see how it goes?

Either way, my ambient temps right now are around 70, so if you pulled it off at 80, I should be in good shape. :mug:

ya i think that extra 10 degrees will work better too. I didn't take a temp reading but my guess is it got down around 50-55F.

I got down to 54 with only 1 gal and 1 2l bottle, and had to reduce my ice since my batch's yeast prefers things a bit warmer! Low 50s will be easy; high 40s should be quite possible, too, I'd think. I was under the impression that cold crashing really wants temps down near freezing, though?

thats just an estimate. it may be colder. but i doubt im getting mine in the 30-40's. the colder the better tho for dropping everything out

Hi i just ordered one of the new plastic BMB fermenters from northern brewer. I am wondering if anyone has used this cooler with that fermenter with the airlock. Size of the BMB is 23"H X 11"W. This is without the air lock. Im assuming i might be able to get a little more height out of the cooler since the diameter of the BMB is a bit more narrow? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hi guys - I realize that this is resurrecting a dead thread somewhat, but it seems like this is the right place to talk about the Cool Brewing fermenter bag, so here I am!

I see that some of you were able to cold crash down into the 50s -- I have been able to get my 6.5 gallon BMB fermenter down from an ambient temperature of 68 to 42 degrees -- but the Cool Brewing bag is completely stuff full of ice (I have been rotating in ice in 6 gallon containers every 12 hours to achieve this). It seems to me that some of you have reported achieving lower temperatures with a lot less ice (and Cool Brewing's own website suggests that they were able to drop the temperature inside the brewing from 68 down to 52 with only 6 frozen liters of water!)... am I doing something wrong? There is no sneaky heat source in play here and I am rotating the ice frequently enough that it is not completely melted before I make the change (which is always quick with no mess around -- total unzipped time is probably 90 seconds per day).

42 seems plenty cold to cold crash (and I can always fine with gelatin too to achieve that extra clarity) - but I am asking with an eye toward potentially attempting to lager with this bag too. For various reasons relating to space and itinerancy, I am not in a position to pick up a more sophisticated temperature control situation in the next year or two, so being able to lager in the Cool Brewing bag would be pretty cool -- but I can't seem to scrub those last 7-8 degrees that would really get me into the lagering zone. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong or is there simply a horizon beyond which additional ice won't really contribute to much additional coldness?

Edit: Just wanted to also mention that I'm pretty new to homebrewing -- this is my fourth batch (the third taught me how important temperature control really is!), so if I'm missing the obvious please accept my apologies!

I know this is an ooold thread, but I've read through every post, has been interesting reading the success stories using this bag.

I'm piecing together gear for home brewing this summer hopefully and this bag seems like the perfect solution to let me manage temp.'s without taking up a bunch of room (tiny home), and relatively inexpensive. (and simpler/cleaner than a swamp cooler).

Question... anyone here a fellow Canadian, and sourced a good Canadian source for this?

Cool Brewings webpage shows two Canadian retailers (Bosagrape in Burnby and Canadian Homebrew in Toronto), but wondering if anyone has happened to find these any where else?

Canadian price + shipping makes these a fairly expensive buy (~$100-115 Cnd), so wanting to see if I'm missing a reseller that might offer a better price.

(Have also seen them on Amazon.ca, but they are even more expensive there)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back