1 gallon jug for yeast starter ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
Would a one gallon jug work for a yeast starter? I dont think it would be a problem. lemme know

Absolutely. I have four. they are good for small scale batches, starters, storing starsan... I just loosely crumple sanitized foil over the top when using for starters.

Follow-up question...

What about a 1 gallon jug for only a 1000ml starter... is head-space a concern with too much oxygen? Is a sanitized foam stopper good to use? Or is foil better?

You actually want your starter oxygenated, so headspace is not a concern. Shouldn't have a problem with the jug. Not sure which stopper is better, I would think foam is fine. I always use plastic wrap, and even keep it slightly open just a tad.

Follow-up question...

What about a 1 gallon jug for only a 1000ml starter... is head-space a concern with too much oxygen? Is a sanitized foam stopper good to use? Or is foil better?

Long time jug user, first time caller.

Not at all. The more oxygen the better. The only time you need to worry about headspace is when you over fill. As a rule of thumb, I try not to fill mine more than half way. If you over fill you'll risk blow off which is messy, unsanitary and wastes yeast. As for foil vs foam stopper, I guess that's personal preference. I use foil. The foam stopper will help keep insects out though, like fruit flies. I rubberband a coffee filter to my jugs and then top with foil. No right or wrong way as long as you don't use an airlock.

I rubberband a coffee filter to my jugs and then top with foil. No right or wrong way as long as you don't use an airlock.

That is a really awesome idea actually. I may try that now that spring/summer is coming and the bugs'll be back.

About the headspace thing, no worries about too much in a starter, it's good for it. But, FWIW, I have discovered the wonders of FermcapS for those times when you have a 3.5L in a gallon jug or 1.8 L in a 2L flask. Awesome stuff, great for boilovers too.

I'm a 1g jug user too for my starters, although I typically use a stopper with an airlock on it. Don't worry about the headspace at all, and the foam stopper or foil methods will both do fine.

I use a jug also AND even with the convex bottom I can still use it on my homemade stir plate!

I use a jug also AND even with the convex bottom I can still use it on my homemade stir plate!

Thanks for this! I broke my 2L flask today but had already smacked the yeast pack so was resigned to doing my starter in my 1 gallon tea jug and just shaking it now and again, since I figured with the curved bottom the stir plate wouldn't be able to hold the bar in place. But based on your experience and after a bit of fiddling I've got a nice little vortex going, and lots more headroom to boot! Makes me think I may not bother replacing the flask -- it's nice being able to boil the wort directly in the flask, but a pain to get the DME into the flask in the first place and to avoid boil overs if I'm doing a full 2L starter. This seems like a solid (and significantly cheaper) way to go.

Absolutely. Especially considering how some of these 1 gallon jugs seem like they could break a human skull and remain intact, they're certainly quite a bit more durable than the flasks. Only problem is (God forbid) you somehow can't find the fridge space if you need to cold crash your starter for any reason.

Back