One hop plant dead??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryceL

Reaction score
So this is my first attempt at growing hops. I have 2 each of cascade, magnum, and chinook. It doesn't look like these first year plants will produce any hops this year which isn't too unexpected. The plants have been doing okay, but not great. My tallest one is about 10' tall (magnum), my cascades are both about 6', and my chinook are stunted around 3' tall. Now for the questions. Is there something in particular why the plants may have stopped growing...maybe lack of fertilizer or bad watering schedule? My second question is that one of my magnums suddenly began to shrivel up and completely turned brown/died. Is there a way to tell if it is dead or if it just called it quits for the season early? That particular plant seemed to be healthy and doing well. I have been giving them a good soaking every other day and the summer has been averaging in the upper 80's/lower 90's here in Socal. At the beginning of the season I made a 2' diameter hole about 2' deep for each plant and mixed manure and azalea soil in with the native soil. Any thoughts or advise for next year would be great!

First years are like a battery. When they are out of juice they are done. That might four feet. Heat can shock a plant and my plants on the side of the house a prone to sun burn. My plants in the backyard no sun burn.

I would keep doing what your doing. Next year if the plant is dead it will have composted on site and if you dig you won't find it. If it survived and you dig. You'll find it! Leave it alone. Take a peek next year. Decide then if you need a new plant or not.

Back