American Porter Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silver medal winner in category 12B at the Sicilianos contest, announced today. Scored 34/50. Randy Mosher was there as the guest of honor and handed out all the medals. A very cool day all around.

Silver medal winner in category 12B at the Sicilianos contest, announced today. Scored 34/50. Randy Mosher was there as the guest of honor and handed out all the medals. A very cool day all around.

Congratulations on your win!

Version 2 coming up.

Using all Maris Otter for pale, instead of 2 row. Have an excess of MO around.
Upped the Chocolate to 1 lb
Lowered barley to 8 oz

Will be using Wyeast 1469, West Yorkshire Ale, yeast again.

Trying to lower the roasty flavor a bit.

Diggin this up.

How was this?

Just kegged my third batch of this. English Roasted Barley (Bairds - 500L) and English Chocolate (Bairds 450-500). In my first batch, I used domestic, which is lighter. I have a few pounds of domestic Chocolate and may brew another batch with it and the Bairds roasted barley for comparison. West Yorkshire Ale - WY 1469 yeast; 6th generation. Finished at 1.014.

Giving this one a shot on Sunday! Sticking to the OG recipe but scaled up for 10gals. Still can't decide whether I want to add some vanilla or coffee to half of the batch..
Using WLP013 London Ale Yeast. Fingers crossed

I brewed this up yesterday. It went fairly smoothly and I hit my numbers pretty much across the board. The only slight difference was using .5lbs of carapils for head retention and Willamette instead of Fuggle as Greatlakes site lists Willamette. I also hopped to 37 IBUs. I went with US-04 as its what I had and its now chugging away in well less the 24hrs in the chamber. This is my first attempt at a porter and the simplicity of this recipe really appealed to me. Will be sure to report back!
Cheers,
Tim

Will do! One thing I missed from from the original beer is the 6% abv. I put it into Brewers Friend and even with the added .50lb of grain the calculation came in at just under 5% with the grain bill that was listed. Oh well that's my bad and I'm a lightweight so its a win for me. Looking forward to this one!

How would the grain bill change for a partial mash version of this recipe? This looks delicious, want to make it for my first partial mash brew instead of all extract/steeping.

746d, I would probably mash 2 lb pale malt with the specialty grains & add 6 lb of pale liquid extract (or 4.5 lb. DME). I would use Wyeast 1028.

So almost at the 3 week mark. It's been kegged for a week and this is certainly a tasty porter. I'm thinking my lower FG was a result of not boiling off enough...probably over shot by .50-.75 gallons. In hindsight I should have been more aware...but I will most definitely brew this one again.

Just bottled this almost 2 weeks ago. Split the batch with half vanilla beans. Tasted nice at bottling. I followed the grain bill to exactly but used light dme. My color is more of a dark brown than black brown though. Oh well the taste is there

Hey folks re brewing this soon but all grain this time instead of partial mash. What mash temps have worked well for everyone? What water profile have others targeted ? I build from 100% ro

I know a blowoff tube is always a good idea, but I'm doing a 10 gallon batch of this instead of my normal 5 gallon batch, and currently have 1 blowoff tube. In your experience have you needed one for this beer? or can I get away with just using an airlock?

Hey everyone I brewed the following on 11/6/16 and it's been kegged and carbonating since 12/15.

Og: 1.059 (actual 1.063)
Fg: 1.015 (actual 1.015)
ABV: 5.76% (actual 6.5%)
Ibu: 39
SRM: 31
5.5 gallons batch size
Mash temp: 154f
Target mash pH: 5.60 (actual 5.50)
Efficiency: 70% (measured was 80.5% with biab!)
Water: 100% ro built to target brewers friend london water profile

FERMENTABLES:
10.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (82.3%)
0.6 lb - American - Chocolate (4.7%)
0.6 lb - American - Roasted Barley (4.7%)- accidentally purchased 300L breiss rather than std 500L
0.9 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (7.1%)
0.16 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (1.3%)

HOPS:
0.52 oz - Northern brewer, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.6, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 20.27
0.75 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 40 min, IBU: 10.89
0.52 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 8.11
0.52 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 0 min

Safale S04 ambient temp 61f

The beer is almost a perfect clone. Color/head/aroma are spot on. Taste is close, with mine having a slightly thicker mouth feel and not quite as much hop flavor in the finish. I'd probably reduce the mash temp a bit and up the cascade late additions and try the correct 500L roasted barley and be spot on . I think glbc uses London ale yeast so that may help as well but truth be told, I think I actually prefer mine. Going to do a triangle test on a friend later on.

Here is a side by side Eddie Fitz on the left and paw prince porter (mine on the right)definitely brewing again! I did an extract version last fall as well

I brewed up the this posts version a couple years ago and it turned out great. This time around I decided to give your version a go this weekend and it’s happily bubbling away in the basement. I ended up using WLP013 London Ale yeast for my batch. I’ll keep you posted on how it turns out. Cheers.

I brewed up the this posts version a couple years ago and it turned out great. This time around I decided to give your version a go this weekend and it’s happily bubbling away in the basement. I ended up using WLP013 London Ale yeast for my batch. I’ll keep you posted on how it turns out. Cheers.

Turned out great. Thanks again for your recipe version. Cheers.

IMG_1815.jpg

Back