Avoiding a stuck sparge in partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deskjockey894

Reaction score
I've read the document by Ken Schwartz that spells out how to convert recipes between all grain and partial grains. I have a question about his statement about in order to ensure avoiding a stuck sparge, over 50% of the partial mash should be husked grain. Ok so I'm not certain what is a husked grain? If I list out these ingredients, are any other ones in addition to the pale malt husked grains? I'd like to do a partial mash with about 7 lbs, 8 may be pushing it for me. so If i have 3.75 lbs of the specialty grains then do I need a minimum of at least 3.75 lbs of pale malt?

6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.38 %
1.25 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.62 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
0.75 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.17 %
0.50 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.72 %

those are all husked as far as I know. the only de-husked barley malts we use (normally) are the carafa special I, II, and III. they remove the husk in that series of grains to minimize the amount of roasted bitterness that the husk can impart in the beer.

Well, oats don't have a husk- I mean, they're flaked oats, so no husks on them. When you're talking about "no husks", you're talking about adjuncts like rice, corn,oats, etc.

Back