Ultrasonic repellent for japanese beetles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quick question to see if anyone has researched using ultrasonic repellent for Japanese beetles?

Seems to have it's ups and downs
If it works on the beetles, it would mean not having to use pesticides, however, if it DOES work on the beetles, it most likely will drive other wanted insects out of your garden as well.

units range in price from $10 up to over $100

Here is the one I'm looking at for outdoor use

thoughts?

I have a feeling you'll waste your $63 and that thing will end up in the basement/garage as you try to figure out if you could use the parts to make something else.

I picked up a "beetle bag" from Home Depot for $5 or so to see if that works. Apparently it works amazingly well for the dude in this picture:

And that guys neighbors LOVED him because those beetles ate and screwed everything in sight of that bag... They attract the beetles but only trap a fraction of them, even if you are diligent about emptying it.

That bag will also result in LOTS AND LOTS of eggs/larvae being dropped in the vicinity. If you are going to "bag it", make sure you use several applications of grub killer in the area to prevent those guys to coming back to haunt you.

Hmm...I'm suddenly thinking of removing the bag and throwing the little hormone packet thing in the neighbor-down-the-street's yard.

Back