Can't remove poppet valve from post (Firestone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prionburger

Reaction score
Hi, I've tried the search button, but nothing seems to fit my issue:

I started cleaning a new firestone keg, and noticed that the poppet valves don't come out of the posts. I'm not sure if there's a release mechanism that I've missed, but it looks like the three-pronged base of the poppet valve is wedged into a compartment in the post.

Is this a situation where you'd buy new posts? Do I clean this like normal without taking the poppet valve out of the post? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

:ban:

Be aware that pushing the poppet could break the feet off. Having done that once I would now just soak the entire thing in some oxyclean and hot water, rinse and put back without taking it apart.

Someone tried pushing on the poppet with this type of post, the poppet broke.

After more searching, I found this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-poppet-post-design-question-160671/

Someone says to "gently pry the legs out" but man, it seems like hercules couldn't pry those out.

Anyone have a detailed description of how to pry them out? Thanks!
I made the image in the referenced thread.

D49b.jpg

The legs of the poppet latch over the top of the ledge. Keep in mind that the poppet assembly is spring loaded. The same way that you can push the poppet down to allow beer/gas flow, you can push up on the bottom of the poppet. Doing this will relieve a lot of tension so that you can place a small screwdriver behind one of the 3 legs and spring it inward. Once one of the legs is off the ledge, the other 2 are relatively easy to manage.

Hope this helps.

I had the same exact thing on the refurbished kegs that I recently had delivered. Here is what I did.

- Soaked the post in hot water for about 15 minutes, then replaced with fresh hot water for another 15 minutes.

- Then I moved to valve to near ice cold water hoping to contract the metal just a bit for about 15 minutes

- I took the valve out of the water and stood it up on my counter, I'd recommend to place it on a cutting board if you have one so that it is slightly softer then a stainless steel skin counter. I got a "clicky" pen, with the point retraced, so that I can depress the poppet valve and I pressed down. I didn't have to use my full force/body weight, but I still used a good amount of force. It came out then I soaked everything (now separated) in water to remove anythign residual on the valve..

Hope this helps!

I use a big nail with the tip blunted by sanding it down. Just put the post on a solid surface with carefully place the BLUNTED nail in the of the poppet and gently tap it out with a hammer. You don’t need to or want to go crazy just firm taps with a hammer will get it out.

I posted the referenced thread a few weeks ago so I know your pain. Finally figured out that a decent pair of needle nose pliars will do the trick. You have to get a pretty good grip on one of the legs and then pull out on it towards the center (not down). I had to pull pretty hard, harder than I thought I would but once I got one leg out, the rest were easy. After I had a sense for what to do the second post was a breeze.

Also, when you go to put it back together be sure to reseat the legs on the ledge, if you don't the post will leak, the poppets have to be seated on that ledge to seal properly. Ultimately I will not buy another keg like this b/c it is a PITA compared to the other types where they just pop out. Definitely something I will be checking for before I buy my next keg.

Good luck!

I posted the referenced thread a few weeks ago so I know your pain. Finally figured out that a decent pair of needle nose pliars will do the trick. You have to get a pretty good grip on one of the legs and then pull out on it towards the center (not down). I had to pull pretty hard, harder than I thought I would but once I got one leg out, the rest were easy. After I had a sense for what to do the second post was a breeze.

Also, when you go to put it back together be sure to reseat the legs on the ledge, if you don't the post will leak, the poppets have to be seated on that ledge to seal properly. Ultimately I will not buy another keg like this b/c it is a PITA compared to the other types where they just pop out. Definitely something I will be checking for before I buy my next keg.

Good luck!

Wow, I just pulled my first out after reading this thread and wound up using a needle nose, as well.

I'm a little concerned that the gaskets on the top of these may eventually leak. Does anyone know where new poppets for these can be purchased? (I think these are type D?)

I useually grab the little prong in the bottom center with a pair of needle nose, wiggle it a bit, and it comes right out without much force.

I buy my parts from Chi if I am buying nothing else, otherwise, I add them to an order I am making through Midwest

I just opened a recently purchased keg to clean and found this style of poppets in the posts.

Is it possible to replace the posts on this style keg with ones that have easily removed poppets? If so, is there a particular style or model post?

Reviving an old thread. I picked up a couple of Firestone Challenger VI kegs from KeggleBrewing.com - they came with the 3 pronged poppets. I soaked them in hot tap water for 10 minutes and 3 of the 4 came out easily - just pressing down. The 4th took a mallet but popped out.

I was thinking about replacing them with the universal poppets from Norther Brewer. Anyone done this before?

Reviving this thread once again. Can anyone with these Firestone Challenger VI kegs tell me the proper way to reinstall the poppet valves? I cant seem to pop them back up in the posts. Can I simply place them in position and torque down the posts to the keg to secure them? Or will that result in leaking gas/beer?

Reviving this thread once again. Can anyone with these Firestone Challenger VI kegs tell me the proper way to reinstall the poppet valves? I cant seem to pop them back up in the posts. Can I simply place them in position and torque down the posts to the keg to secure them? Or will that result in leaking gas/beer?

Yes

I put the poppet in the post and then tighten it up by hand to make sure it is seated properly and then tighten with a wrench

The trick mentioned earlier in the thread of soaking the valve in hot water and then tapping the poppet gently from the top worked like a charm for me just now. Thanks!

Back