Yes, another diy cooler conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
I have had two identical Coleman 10g beverage coolers for about 15 yrs. I only used one at a daughter's soccer games. Tonight, I converted the second to a MLT and can also convert the other one if I ever need to. I also have a Teel pump that I bought at least 15yrs ago to build a RIMS system I saw in BYO. I May use it to recirculate the wort. The finished product is pretty much the same as any other but here it is:

Front view
DSC_1279.jpg

DSC_1271.jpg

drilled copper pipe and the graduated marks in liters and gallons:
DSC_1274.jpg

I will use a bag inside a 20qt steamer stockpot. I will place the bag on this to drain the wort:
DSC_1272.jpg

The hot water test reveals no leaks
DSC_1278.jpg

I built the sparge section 15yrs ago and never used it. EDIT 11/13 I won't use it as a sparge manifold. I may use it with a pump to simply recirculate wort for clarifying:
DSC_1276.jpg

My heated stirrer can also be used to help the 100,000 BTU burner with boil:
BUCKET-HEATER.jpg

My 40qt kettle:
DSC_1243.jpg

Yep, it's true. I even had a computer, but Al Gore had not invented the internet yet.

If you're going to mash in a stock pot and then let it drip into this lauter tun, I'm confused what the cooler is actually for.

I probably used some incorrect terminology somewhere. I've been away for a while. The cooler is the mash tun. It will be an Aussie BIAB-type system with the capability to recirc. The sparge manifold at the top is really just where the recirculated water returns and not really for sparging. The 40qt pot is for boiling and heating the mash water.

I like how the inside has volume markings. I actually made up a second "measuring stick" for my mash tun (like the ones people use in their boil kettles) so I could better approximate the number of gallons I was using for my dough-in/strike water...

DogHouseBrew:
I've read a lot about BIAB...probably not enought, but here is what I have gleaned:
The Aussie BIAB method is no sparge. The way I built my MT, I could sparge if I wanted to. I also have a second identical cooler that could be used as a HLT. Here are some threads on BIAB:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4650&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0/fa

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/maximum-brew-bag-effeciency-137804/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/photo-album-australian-method-brew-bag-133667/

http://brewing.lustreking.com/articles/stovetopallgrain.html

I could also do this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/i-love-no-sparge-brewing-140972/

I'm still confused, why do you have a manifold if you're gonna BIAB. ???

Sorry about that: I went back to the beginning and I see that I have a picture of the sparge manifold I built. I have modified that with an explanation. Also, I have a Teel pump that I bought years ago after reading an article in BYO about RIMS. I stopped brewing and never used it. I still have it and the speed controller, so I thought I could use it to recirculate in the same vessel. I don't think that would be sparging. It's probably more like a vorlauf. If I do use the pump, I guess I wouldn't really be using the Aussie BIAB method.

I guess my entire plan is not really the Aussie BIAB method. That method only uses a kettle and not MT. Damn, I guess it's really just a cooler MT with a bag inside!

Sorry about that: I went back to the beginning and I see that I have a picture of the sparge manifold I built. I have modified that with an explanation. Also, I have a Teel pump that I bought years ago after reading an article in BYO about RIMS. I stopped brewing and never used it. I still have it and the speed controller, so I thought I could use it to recirculate in the same vessel. I don't think that would be sparging. It's probably more like a vorlauf. If I do use the pump, I guess I wouldn't really be using the Aussie BIAB method.

I guess my entire plan is not really the Aussie BIAB method. That method only uses a kettle and not MT. Damn, I guess it's really just a cooler MT with a bag inside!

No, I was talking about the copper manifold at the bottom. Seems if you did a Single infusion batch sparge with a copper manifold , that you wouldnt need to do BIAB. BUt I guess you were clarifying that you could do both right?

Yeah, the copper manifold is for the same job your bag is for. With that MLT (cooler, copper tube in bottom and valve) you just need to dump your water and grain into the cooler. The copper tube with holes in it strains out the wort and leaves the grain behind. You don't need the bag or the Steamer grate with that setup.

Jesse and Irregular Pulse,
You are both correct. I have a lot of redundancy in that cooler. I've had this cooler for years and the sparge contraption on the lid was put together by me about 15yrs ago. I stopped brewing and never used it. That and the copper were all inside the cooler when I opened it. That was supposed to be part of the whole RIMS thing I mentioned earlier. We moved 5yrs ago to a new house and I simply stored the coolers on a shelf in the garage until I started reading this forum. All I had to do last night was visit HD and pick up the parts for the valve.

The whole bag thing came about after I discovered this site. I just didn't want to have a HLT, MLT and BK and I started looking for ways to streamline. My problem is I had some leftover stuff from my previous brewing and I tried to use it all. Maybe my tendency to over think things is why I quit brewing the first time.

Thanks for politely pointing out that I'm an idiot:D

Back