Dropped "O" ring of airlock in fermentor now what???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean187

Reaction score
I was messing with my airlock, and accidently knocked the "O" ring through the hole, and into my brew. What are my chances of infection now? Or do you think I'll be okay?

Funny thing is there was no bubbling all day, but as soon as the "O" ring fell in my beer, it started bubbling. Any thoughts?

It'll be fine. Might suck getting it out, but wouldn't worry about infections.

I had my prize and joy sitting on week 2 or 3 in the fermenter once. This beer was going to be amazing. I knew it. Even after the boil it tasted good! I had just taken a hydrometer reading and it was where I wanted. Go to close the lid and the tape thermometer i had on top fell into the fermenter. @#$@#$

Plucked it out with a sanitized pair of tweezers.

Fast forward another 5 or so weeks. Best. Damn. Beer....Evar.

The above in 3 words: You'll be fine!

When beer is fermenting the yest create CO2 which is absorbed by the beer. When you dropped the o-ring into the beer you provided a bunch of new nucleation points for the CO2 to create bubbles. It's sort of the way cloud seeding works, only with bubbles, in reverse. No worries, it's completely normal.

i dropped mine in my brutal bitter batch...

turned out just fine :)

there is actually half of one in my warrior/simcoe ale :cross:

just leave it in there... it's not going to hurt anything

I would just leave it in, and cut a little piece of tubing to fit on the bottom of the air lock. Matter of fact that is what I use for my bucket all the time now.

I've done the same thing with a german rye beer and it turned out fine. The biggest pain was finding another grommet to use at the time...that's a good idea to use some tubing.

Back