Yuri's Brew Yurt (Hut)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone in another thread mentioned a very sensitive temp probe circuit. I guess if you used that you would have a better chance of using temp as the control given Yuri's 'logic'. Hmmm... quick google doesn't really turn up anything useful on boiling point/gravity that isn't tied to a particular compound.

Thats sweet Yuri. We put 4 Polk speakers in the ceiling and 2 on the outdoor patio. Connected them up to an AirPort Express. Now we can control all the music in the brewery wirelessly from iPhone/iPod touch. No big speakers taking up space!

Holy cow...part of me is kinda glad I missed this when I was away from HBT and the interwebz with that whole life thing again.

I'm really impressed with pretty much everything you've done with your hut. Tile floor looks damn good in the pictures. Doubt you need the ego boost, but I figured I'd give you a nice bravo!

Side note, are you aware of the "free day" at SparkFun in Jan?

Question about you using the arduino...how many sensors can you run without an additional shield, and which chip are you using? Question is two fold, I am starting to think about how to make my own weather station that runs off an arduino, and two, I want to make my own temperature controller for my kegerator, and have it do some cool stuff (TBD) as well.

Read these 41 pages for the past hour or so, very nice read!

Looking forward to "free day." Thanks for the mention because I was about to forget!

I'm using the 168 in the brew hut. The standard Arduino has 6 analog inputs and 15 digital input/output pins. If you use multiplexers or one-wire/serial devices, your options become greatly increased. If you really need more pins, use an Arduino Mega (or Sanguino), which has roughly double the number of analog and digital pins.

Looking forward to "free day." Thanks for the mention because I was about to forget!

I'm using the 168 in the brew hut. The standard Arduino has 6 analog inputs and 15 digital input/output pins. If you use multiplexers or one-wire/serial devices, your options become greatly increased. If you really need more pins, use an Arduino Mega (or Sanguino), which has roughly double the number of analog and digital pins.

ahh I gotcha, I'm going to PM you to keep this thread clean, or is there a general Arduino thread somewhere?

Here is the enclosure that I built to house the Ping))) sensor. I calibrated it today. It appears accurate to at least +/- one quart. I can live with that for now.

ping1.jpg

ping2.jpg

Your brew setup has sonar! What's next, lasers?

When you build a micro nuclear reactor for your brew kettle, there needs to be an intervention.

Here is the enclosure that I built to house the Ping))) sensor. I calibrated it today. It appears accurate to at least +/- one quart. I can live with that for now.

Is this to measure brewpot or mash volume? Could it be more accurate to somehow measure the weight of the tun/kettle instead of distance? Wort is pretty heavy and small changes could be easily noticeable.

It is to measure volume in either the mash tun or the kettle (will work with both). With the right sensors and setup, measuring mass could take the place of measuring distance as a means to determine volume.

I have experimented a bit with this. I used a kg scale to measure all my water and even tried putting three scales under the legs of burner I use for the boil to measure evaporation rates. Still looking for a cheap source of strain gauge weight sensors for my next build. One thing to note is you have to account for the few percent increase in density from the sugars to get the volume right.

Paul

It is to measure volume in either the mash tun or the kettle (will work with both). With the right sensors and setup, measuring mass could take the place of measuring distance as a means to determine volume.

I'm really enjoying the brew hut. It's not done. It may never be "done." However, it's very functional. I'm brewing batch #3 today - an Irish red that will help use up some old ingredients.

Side note, are you aware of the "free day" at SparkFun in Jan?
Free Day = FAIL

Their servers couldn't handle the increased site traffic. Like so many others, I was frustrated by an inability to access the site. What's worse is that Sparkfun's news feed offers a weak apology for their failure and touts the day as a success due to the increased traffic, Google rank, and server load test. Free Day was overhyped to intentionally generate site traffic and new customers. As such, the idea that it was a way of "giving back" to those who helped the company grow and prosper was rather misrepresented. I suppose from a pure business/advertising standpoint, Free Day was a success, but they frustrated a lot of loyal customers over it. I'd like to think it was well intentioned, and I'm likely going to remain a customer. However, I am a bit disappointed in their execution and subsequent gloating (to be clear, I'm not really upset that I didn't get free stuff, just disappointed in the stunt).

To add insult to injury, last week's Sparkfun order arrived today, and it's incorrect.

I saw you pop into the IRC channel after 11AM EST, and yeah, it was a big fail. Oh well, I ordered stuff today, we'll see how that goes.

I tried to get a new soldering iron on free day. I was on a 47Mb/s connection at work on the east coast and spark fun is in CO. I barely got through at all to even load the page. I was able to log in but not complete checkout. Poor programing using java script means refreshing the page does not retry checkout etc. I found out later that they were not clearing out your shopping cart... so those people who logged in days ahead of time and pre-filled the carts simply had to try to make it through checkout in 1:45. I assumed it would clear my cart like normal...

Anyway, not a big deal. We have spent over $500 there in the past year and they have great stuff and good prices. I think now that they wanted more hype than anything to do with giving back. Everything they do is a tax write off so its not like they are losing money. If they really wanted to give back they would not make it 100% free. They would have done 1/2 off orders over $100 or 20% off everything, or everyone who has been a customer >6months gets a discount etc etc.....

I tried to get a new soldering iron on free day. I was on a 47Mb/s connection at work on the east coast and spark fun is in CO. I barely got through at all to even load the page. I was able to log in but not complete checkout. Poor programing using java script means refreshing the page does not retry checkout etc. I found out later that they were not clearing out your shopping cart... so those people who logged in days ahead of time and pre-filled the carts simply had to try to make it through checkout in 1:45. I assumed it would clear my cart like normal...

Anyway, not a big deal. We have spent over $500 there in the past year and they have great stuff and good prices. I think now that they wanted more hype than anything to do with giving back. Everything they do is a tax write off so its not like they are losing money. If they really wanted to give back they would not make it 100% free. They would have done 1/2 off orders over $100 or 20% off everything, or everyone who has been a customer >6months gets a discount etc etc.....

I'm ~ 10 miles from Sparkfun, had my cart loaded and ready to go and also wasn't able to get past the javascript for submitting payment info. My arduino and other goodies will have to come later...

Yuri,

I read the whole thread and may have missed this but how are you getting water out to the Yurt? I'm guesisng not by bucket.

I'm curious as I don't want to bury a line out to my "shed" either but am a little weary of using a hose due to bacteria, etc. Any suggestions?

I would think a cheap filter could remove any off flavors or sediment that comes from the hose.

A filter might work and then I'll adjust the chemistry in the mash accordingly.

jk, can PEX be coiled? I was thinking about a garden hose (potable water approved from McMaster) since it can be coiled on the outside of the shed.

Pex comes in coils but it's rather stiff. take a look at your local home depot or whatever to get an idea of the product.

Yuri,

I read the whole thread and may have missed this but how are you getting water out to the Yurt? I'm guesisng not by bucket.

I'm curious as I don't want to bury a line out to my "shed" either but am a little weary of using a hose due to bacteria, etc. Any suggestions?
Believe it or not, right now I'm using buckets and/or Corny kegs. I considered buying 100' of RV rated water hose, but I haven't done it yet.

We are likely having a sprinkler system installed in the back yard this summer. I may ask for a quote for a hose bib in or near the hut while they're at it.

Hello Yuri,
How did the Ping))) work out? I want to use something to help measure water in the HLT. Dose it get affected by steam/moisture?
I have on older Polaroid sensor that i wanted to use but they have a min range of 9" without getting more sophisticated with the control lines.

I came across an old stamp article that uses two foil strips. I don't know how the different mineral content would effect the readings, If i understand this correctly, temperature will and a non trial effect. There is also proximity effects of other objects.
one way to possible deal with the temp and ion content would be to fill to a known level and after temp is reached use that as a calibration point......

Benefits would be to be able to use with standard sight glass and be cheap...
also thought of using a 10 turn pot + float...

.....I'm babbling a bit....

link

Thanks for taking the time to document and post everything. I really enjoy going through all this.

Back