Wyeast 4184 Sweat Mead - Used w/ Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can any body tell me how low 4184 Sweat Mead yeast will go with ~ 3lbs of honey and 5 gal of cider?

It says it leaves 2-3% sugar so 2-3% of 1.069 is about 1.002. Is this right???

I've done a cider with about thoes percentages, except it was an apple/peach cider with honey added. The sweet mead yeast left the cider at about 1.008, with a nice sweet-ish taste, but still quite dry. The Papple cider (as I call it) is about 4 months old currently, and is just now getting good, however it never cleared, and I don't really expect it to, don't know if this is a character of the sweet mead yeast or not.

I've done a cider with about thoes percentages, except it was an apple/peach cider with honey added. The sweet mead yeast left the cider at about 1.008, with a nice sweet-ish taste, but still quite dry. The Papple cider (as I call it) is about 4 months old currently, and is just now getting good, however it never cleared, and I don't really expect it to, don't know if this is a character of the sweet mead yeast or not.

Not clearing.... might need to break out the clay mug!!! :D

Thanks!!!

Back