I can't help it, this thread is simply to brag!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabot

Reaction score
My quest to find affordable grain is finally over!

All Briess grains:

50lb 2row
50lb pale ale
20lb 40L Cyrstal
10lb Black
10lb Chocolate
10lb Roasted

....wait for it....

$79!

Yeah come on...spill the beans.....so we can learn and hate at the same time...

Jerktwaddle :D

By the way this is what we do on brag threads...so don't take it personally...but enjoy the creativity of our invectives...

I fully expected it. I always get shafted on the great craigslist finds, so this gives me a small feeling of redemption. Its all ****e luck. I was able to piggyback an order with a local brewery. They gave me their cost on everything! As I told the brewmaster, I almost feel guilty taking him up on the offer!

Well I just got done bagging/bucketing my bulk grain order. The dust created from dumping a sack of 2row into buckets damn near choked me.

+1 to whoever recommended homer buckets from Home Depot. I picked up 4 with lids and the total was right around 15 bucks. As stated, two buckets will hold a 50lb sack of grain. The specialty grains I just bagged into large ziplock bags (about 5lb a piece) and am storing the whole kit'n'kabootle in my basement (it stays a dry 60-65 degrees down there thanks to mr pellet stove)

Now the only thing left to do is brew! *sets his eyes on saturday*

That's amazing!

How long will grains keep like that? I was thinking about doing a bulk grain buy and was curious how long they woudl stay... assuming you seal 'em up really tight like you're doing and keep them in a decent spot?

They are uncrushed grains...so long as I keep them cool and dry the consensus from my research has been they will easily keep for many months...possibly even more than a year.

I fully expected it. I always get shafted on the great craigslist finds, so this gives me a small feeling of redemption. Its all ****e luck. I was able to piggyback an order with a local brewery. They gave me their cost on everything! As I told the brewmaster, I almost feel guilty taking him up on the offer!

I was just about to posit that as my guess. I'm doing the same thing here---I recently wrote an article for a magazine on a local brewer. I'd known the guy for awhile and had snagged yeast from his conicals from time to time...but when I was out there doing the interview, he offered to get me what I need (if he had it) at his cost. So far the only thing I've needed was a sack of 2-row, which was $25 for 50 lbs. Soon, though, he's getting a new shipment of Warminster MO in. I remember paying $65 for a sack of Munton's MO, and from what this guy says, floor-malted Warminster is head and shoulders above Muntons, etc. And it's all of like $0.70/lb. Ha!

Back