Can you make Apfelwein with fresh pressed juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Camel

Reaction score
Or would this end up more like hard cider?

I've got this weird variety of apple in my back yard called a Transparent Yellow, it doesn't keep very well as an eating apple and as it ripens, it gets these transparent areas under the skin.

It's very sweet and apparently very good for applesauce or juice, so I was thinking I could make some juice if I could get my hands on a press.

Is clarifying needed before making apfelwein? like adding pectic enzyme or filtering?

Thanks in advance

Apple juice gives apfelwein that clean, crisp end result. Doing the same with cider or anything else with lots of suspended particles results in a heavy, cidery drink in the end. I have done lots of both, two completely different end results.

Apple juice gives apfelwein that clean, crisp end result. Doing the same with cider or anything else with lots of suspended particles results in a heavy, cidery drink in the end. I have done lots of both, two completely different end results.

My two most recent batches were made with fresh pressed juice. I added pectic enzyme to the must at the start, and both ended up crystal clear. Both were quite crisp and clean as well. The only cider's I have made that were "heavy" were so because of the ingredients I added.

I do agree that different juices give different results. My personal tastes lean towards the fresh stuff, not the tree-top type.

Back