Beers You Used To Drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly keystone light and milwaukees best in college. Pretty much whatever was cheapest. I remember the first. Time my roommate bought beer to drink he found a special in the newspaper and bought a 30 pack of something called brigade light. It was terrible. We have looked for it for the sake of nostalgia and haven't been able to find it. On my 21st birthday the first case of beer I bought legally was Schlitz. It was almost as bad as the brigade

Blue Moon. I used to really like it. I don't know, perhaps the recipe changed.

OE in the teenage years
then Heineken just because i thought it was cool
I started drinking Yuengling when i lived in PA.
Now i drink what i make, or a craft beer of some kind or i try something/different. I still drink Yuengling from time to time though, when money is low. Add Sam Adams to the list. and a bit of others. again thats when i dont have anything made.

Rolling Rock and Henry Weinhard's I considered "craft" beer back in the 90's. I always felt like I was going high end when I brought some to a party. I also used to drink Micky's, Country Club, and Lowenbrau too.

I used to drink Molson Canadian and Guiness exclusively until I began homebrewing.

MGD was my go to beer for years. Others I drank a lot of back in the day but don't anymore or as much:

Miller (the one with the red/silver label that was out in the 90s)
Rolling Rock
Mickey's, big mouth
Black Label (WTH was I thinking......... )
Michelob Light/Dry
Killian's Red
Southpaw
Corona
Heineken
Foster's

There used ot be another Australian beer that had a red/silver label on it and a shark for the logo? Seemed like it had "razor" in the title or something like that. It was alright, at the time.

My Early twenties through late Thirties
Shaefer
Schlitz
Carling Black Label
Rolling Rock
Miller Lite
Budweiser
Bud Lite
Haffenrefer
Draft Beer at Pubs

Late Middle age and beyond
These days, I homebrew, but not that crazy about beer having more than 1 or 2 beers at a sitting, Seems like I enjoy the process of making beer more than drinking it, go figure. I often enjoy a glass of wine andi/or other spirits.
Bavarian Hefeweizen
Dunkelweizen
Belgan Wit
Rye Pale Ale

When I was younger I basically drank only 3 beers. Coors light, Guinness, and blue moon. Now I rarely drink Guinness or blue moon but I do have the occasional coors light or 10 when its a camping trip or large party.

In the beginning I drank whatever was cheapest. That was usually Old Mill, busch or PBR. Oh and Meisterbrau. We would buy some novelty stuff every now and then like Mickey's or OV splits.

We also liked Coors in the party ball with the long, funny tap. Killians Red was craft beer and Heineken and Corona (with the lime wedge) was high class.

In high school we used to get into most any kind of bulk Canadian beer. Molson Canadian, Labatts Blue, Moosehead, Sleemans...on occasion something more expensive like Heineken.

Joined a band in my early twenties and for some reason we decided to drink only Old Milwaukee for 2 years.... dark times friends, dark times.

Schlitz and Schaefer when I was young. Do they even make those anymore?? I never buy "mass produced" beers anymore. And only drink them when given them by others and no other choice.

Miller, Hamms, Iron City, Strohs, Old Mil, Wiedemann......I still drink a Hamms occasionally. It's funny that I've seen Yuengling mentioned several times in this thread, that stuff is like the Holy Grail here in Indiana! I know numerous people, myself included, who make special trips to Ohio or Tennesse to get it! We go to the Smoky mountains 3-4 times a year, and I always plan the trips around having plenty of room in the rental car to bring back Yuengling! I bought a second full sized fridge just to keep a constant supply of cold Yuengling and Sweetwater beers available.:mug:

Started our on high life. They were a dollar a bomber, or deuce deuces as we called em. Move to miller light in college, mostly due to my gf at the time. Would do black and tans every Tuesday at a local pub, they were bogo on Tuesday.
Then Sierra Nevada and it was as all uphill from there

Ill drink any beer. If the thread title was beers you used to buy, id have a list.

I drank alot of 8 ball 40s in my teenage years. $2.40 apiece. Five bucks and an older buddy to buy and I was one shnokkered punk.

Anybody remember Genny 12 horse? That was big with my gang as a teen in the 70s. We thought skunk flavor meant it was good :D

Others:
St Pauli Girl
Heineken
Yuengling (of course)
Mickey's Big Mouth
Elephant
Dos Equis
Molson

My Dad drank Rheingold, and after Googling it I see why. He came from a working class neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Mickey's Malt Liquor (still a guilty pleasure)
Coors Light
Millers Genuine Draft
Blue Moon (hate the stuff now)
Michelob
Corona Light (heck I would still drink one, I just can't bear to pay money for it)
Grolsch
Rolling Rock

I can't touch a hefeweisen or anything using related yeast. Yech. They used to be so good.

Off topic:I am the same way except I will respect a single true German(reimheitsgebot and all) example from time to time.
I would be inclined to see a large survey done of what beer the masses drink vs what bread they make their sandwiches with.
I would suspect a tendency toward:
BMC: white bread
Hefe:whole wheat (i can't do that either)

I once drank George Killians Irish Red as my go-to beer. Looking back, it was actually the best beer in the store at the time. Of course, in those days a beer store was a big new thing and there were still many people living without running water in their homes. No, it wasn't the 1930's. It was Appalachia in the 1990's. Close, but slightly different.

Off topic:I am the same way except I will respect a single true German(reimheitsgebot and all) example from time to time.
I would be inclined to see a large survey done of what beer the masses drink vs what bread they make their sandwiches with.
I would suspect a tendency toward:
BMC: white bread
Hefe:whole wheat (i can't do that either)

I love rye bread. I love sandwiches made with rye bread. I'm not fond of ales with rye in them. Seems counter intuitive but it is what it is.

Grolsch(since i was born very near the brewery, this was the beer of our area), it still tastes ok, basic lager, but they modified it some 10 years ago and it gives nasty day-after headaches now.

oranjeboom, the only beer on tap at the local rock/metal bar....it's what i always imagine budweiser would taste like(since found out bud is even worse....)

Mickey's Malt Liquor (still a guilty pleasure)
Coors Light
Millers Genuine Draft
Blue Moon (hate the stuff now)
Michelob
Corona Light (heck I would still drink one, I just can't bear to pay money for it)
Grolsch
Rolling Rock

I still like Michelob when I can find it (not MGD or Ultra or any of that, just plain old Michelob) but it has gotten very scarce for some reason.

My greatest hits from my salad days are as follows:

1.) Killian's Irish Red
2.) Moosehead
3.) Bud Light
4.) Bud Heavy
5.) Heineken
6.) Stella (Which I still love)
7.) Red Stripe
8.) Magic Hat #9 (This was a delicacy)
9.) Blue Moon
10.) Corona

Miller Lite....I remember graduating from Bud Light to the “old mans” beer...Miller Lite. I’d grab a Bud once in a while to get a full flavor beer. But 12-24 Miller Lite on a weekend was common.

What a waste of pee’ing......

My first legal beer on my 21st birthday was a Foster's in the big stupid can. I also used to drink Heineken and Newcastle brown ale which aren't terrible, but I can't get back all the time I wasted drinking Ice House in college. Gag me with a base malt!!

Then I picked up some Sierra Nevada pale ale, which was my entry point into craft beers.

Latest posts

Back